Easthope Break Band Issue

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
sean_h_5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Easthope Break Band Issue

Post by sean_h_5 »

My easthope break bands are becoming sticky, especially when I am retrieving. On one do my spools, the band is binding and I have to adjust and hold the band while retrieving. They are vertically mounted. I have greased the break band with no relief. A shot of WD will help a little but doesn't last for too long. I have swapped break band springs from my third spool - no improvement.
Anyone run into similar issues or have some advice?

Thanks!
kjwelder
Spammer?: No

Re: Easthope Break Band Issue

Post by kjwelder »

If it is the middle spool I think I know your issue. It could be a bent shaft. Try to see if the spool drags on the break band in one or two spots. Depending how far out it is, you may be able to very carefully adjust the band out. They are made from soft metal that can wear on itself so they may get better over time on its own. Also, salt accumulation gums up the gurdies so flush with fresh water often. Good luck.
Bobf/vfaithbodega
Spammer?: No

Re: Easthope Break Band Issue

Post by Bobf/vfaithbodega »

Dude this might sound crazy but I had the same problem and a old timer came down and told me to dump a bucket of saltwater on it.. It worked so good I had to tighten the brake.. I was puzzled.. Try it it cleaned all the nasty stuff out..