Wire jammed on gurdy shaft

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
oldway
Spammer?: No

Wire jammed on gurdy shaft

Post by oldway »

Anyone have some helpful advice for me? I've got 10 or 12 wraps of wire jammed tight on the shaft between the spool and the mount. There isn't enough room to get any snippers in there.

I don't want to get the nickname "two lines"

Thanks
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Wire jammed on gurdy shaft

Post by Salty »

I use a grinder when this happens. A grinder is very handy to have on the boat for a lot of projects. Just cut /grind the wire out.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

R u in Sitka? Want to use mine?
ericv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by ericv »

A small Dremel Tool with a few spare cutting wheels is handy for this and other tight tasks while away from the dock. Not too much of a power drain on the inverter.
Salty, this finally explains the roostertail of sparks we see streaking outward from your troll cockpit while on the drag!
oldway

Post by oldway »

Thanks for the help. I was thinking about using my dremel, I just wanted to probe other options before I dug into it. Unfortunately I didn't have it with me this trip and had to sport two lines for a while...
elhewman

Post by elhewman »

Good stuff too know! Thanks for posting and thanks for your advice Salty.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I think Eric V has the best tip with a Dremel tool.
oldway

Post by oldway »

The final answer ended up being the sawzall. Thanks salty for the grinder but the 9" blade was the only thing that would get in there. It still took about 3 hours.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Here's another thing to try if you don't have a sawsall. If you have line out which you usually do. Tie the line off with Oregon twine to take the pressure off of the wound up shaft. Make sure it is tied off well then cut the wire so you have about a foot or wire to work with. Don't cut the wire where it goes to the spool which should be very tight. Then put the gurdy in reverse and it should unscrew itself enough that you can start to pull it loose. Keep working the loose end and reversing and eventually you can get it off the shaft then you can make a splice and be back in business. I had to do this three times this spring with my new deck hand so I know it works. The worst one I encountered was he had it so wrapped that it forced the third spool into gear so it was actually bringing in my stabilizer too so I had to detach it too so I could reverse. I am like didn't it feel a little different as you were bringing it up? We had the talk about always looking at the spool before you start it in, a good thing to do to prevent the problem. We took about a hour to fix the problem and the good news was the King salmon the he was trying to land was still on.