Pelican!

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
scowwitch
Spammer?: No

Pelican!

Post by scowwitch »

Just want to let folks know that Pelican is up and running with ice for the 2014 season. Thanks to the mitigation infrastructure funds, Pelican once again has ice for the troll fleet. Currently, we have approximately a 40-ton capacity in one bin; the City of Pelican received legislative funding this year to complete the second bin and return the ice house back to its original 80-ton capacity next year. We will be available to ice up boats for the season. I have started an ice list - you can PM me or call our land line (we're in the book on the Pelican page under my name - Spencer) if you'd like to be on it. Please include your boat name, callback number, and number of tons you'd like in your message.

In addition to running the ice house, we'll once again be operating a buying station for Hoonah Cold Storage. We're crewed up and we'd love to land your fish here and help you get turned around quickly. Many guys last season were happy (and a bit nostalgic) about delivering in Pelican and it was sure fun to catch up with folks we hadn't seen in years. Again, you can call our land line or PM me for a number to text to.

To aid your turnaround, here is some info about what's available in Pelican:
*Fuel Dock is operated by the City of Pelican and will be open 7 days a week - call for hours.
*Lisianski Cafe: Karen and Victo are still serving up huge breakfasts and delicious burgers for lunch, along with soups and chowders.
*Pelican Inn (formerly the Brown Bar) is serving pizzas and steaks. They also have a good selection of groceries including canned goods, snack foods, bleach, paper towels, and some frozen and chill items.
*Rose's Bar & Grill: Rose has the bar for sale - this might be your last season to meet the legend!
*Breseman's Liquor Store and Clint's Quick Cash: libations, snacks, and a cash machine just like downtown!
*Alaska Seaplanes: 3 or more flights to Juneau daily and freight service for groceries.
*Laundry/Showers: Available in the same spot - corner of the old bunkhouse - coin-op.
*Terry's Marine Repair: Diesel mechanic-ing and aluminum welding.
*Harris Air flies from Sitka as needed.

Last year it was exciting to see trolling poles once again fill Pelican's harbor. We look forward to seeing many of your faces, old and new, this season! Please pass this info along to your trolling buddies - Pelican would once again like to be a seasonal home port for trollers - wayward and otherwise!

Our best for a safe and profitable 2014 season!
Keith Heller & Deb Spencer
ericv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Pelican!

Post by ericv »

This is good news to hear for the fleet and most certainly for Pelican. Karen at Liasanski Cafe spoke to me recently of all the hard work folks are doing to bring back the fleet and keep the emphasis of the towns economy focused that direction.

Brings back fond memories of pitching off their in the 80's, a true and genuine hub of good hard work. Add to this the memorable times at Rosies.

Thanks for the post and information.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Good news about Pelican, they used to have the best ice in SE Alaska or so they say, I really think It was a an excuse to get their noses wet at Rosie's before the next trip. ;)
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

Its called" closest to the fish" for a good reason.Besides Rosey's their a number of good reasons to tie up in Pelican,best water,best cafe and the good people there.Bravo for getting things in order for the fleet.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

Nice! Great news! Now we just need an FAS buyer there!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I love Pelican!
fvsedna

Post by fvsedna »

Nice work Deb, to you & all the folks there....I thanks for the post & update. I'll be In. Definitely looking forward to Karen's omelet & hash.
Andrew
f/v Sedna
BoldVenture

Post by BoldVenture »

Could someone please PM me the land line number(s) and particularly number(s) for texting regarding delivering in Pelican? It's excellent to have Pelican back on the troll fish buying roster. Thank you.