Bow poles

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Fishnpohl
Spammer?: No

Bow poles

Post by Fishnpohl »

I want to build bow poles. I have a 46 hoquiam wondering lenth and diameter others are useing for this boat lenth. The mounts and cable stays geometry? Any photos would be great! I want the option of not running flote bags. Anything would help... Maybe you have some for sale??

Cheers
Taylor
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Bow poles

Post by carojae »

I would consult a supplier and ask for the right aluminum alloy. Some aluminum flexes much better than others and that can save you from having to straighten or build new ones on a regular basis.
On my boat I've broken my main haul-up two times (with only my tip line still attached, stabbie in the water) and to my amazement my pole survived a near half radius arc.
Siskiyous

Post by Siskiyous »

I rigged snootters, the new high strength fiber lines make the use of wire and turnbuckles silly.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I have seen your boat. My friends with boats your size have great luck with inside deeps. Bow poles are best fishing 36 or less fathoms in calm water.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

I guess if you keep a tag line ready you could switch easily back to floats. I have seen some boats with bow poles running floats which seems like a step backward if you have gone to the effort and expense to rig bow poles but I guess you have the option. I noticed the Coho this year were biting on my heavies much more than I can remember before. I got the floats working better when I brought them in close to the boat. (boat attracting fish?). I have seen a few boats doing away with the floats and running a shortened version of their tag line off the stern. Anyone try this?
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Sorry Fishpohl didn't mean to change the thread, should have probably started a new topic.