changing hydrolic oil

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

changing hydrolic oil

Post by John Murray »

Anyone out there have thoughts on changing hydrolic oil?How often?Its a closed system but the oil gets hot and wears. Thanks
lone eagle
Spammer?: No

Re: changing hydrolic oil

Post by lone eagle »

I've known people never change the filter and I doubt they change the oil. I hear oil last forever if it isn't contaminated or burnt through combustion. I check levels and color once in a while but leaks are fairly easy to detect...I should replace the filter this winter...no idea how old it is. Bit like gearbox oil, clear and full.
BLACKY
Spammer?: No

Post by BLACKY »

All oil breaks down from heat, shear forces, and moisture. Filters should be changed every year, standard hyd. oil should be changed at about 5-10000 hours or every other season ( because of moisture)
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

But with your gear there's a recommended maintainance schudule thats in the owners manual.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

There's guys that know more than me, but apparently they're all at sea. So here's my 2 cents. Over time, wear in the pumps and motors causes very fine metal particles to be suspended in the oil. Does your hydraulic filter take them all out? I don't know. Some systems have a bypass valve in the filter so that if it plugs, a valve opens to keep pressure from building up, and then the oil is bypassing the filter and causing wear in your components.

Hydraulic oil is not subject to the contaminants or heat that engine oil is. But I would say this. If you changed it out every 7 or 8 years, I bet you would be way behind what the manufacturers recommendations would be, but way ahead of what the rest of the fleet is doing.