Some objective advise needed about nets

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
elhewman
Spammer?: No

Some objective advise needed about nets

Post by elhewman »

Hey guys, am a few months away from being able to qualify(more than likely) for a state limited entry permit loan. I must first say that my heart has been set on trolling. Just the thought of chasing salmon at any time of the year gets my blood to boil. My limited experience deck handing on a power troller, hand trolling, and sport fishing are some of the best experiences I have had in my life. But I have researched a little too much probably about the feasibility of making a living power trolling and it looks bleak. I could passionately chase salmon 250+ days a year but I know that could take a toll on my family. My family lives very cheaply by Alaska standards but I would need to net 40-50 grand consistently to make ends meet. I am assuming power trolling is not the best for this. Enough of my saga and on to my main questions.

I have been told by several people that gill-netting is a good fishery to get into if you have a family and cannot afford to spend 250+ days on the water away from home.

1. Is gill-netting something I could learn fast enough with no real experience deck handing or is the learning curve pretty steep w/out prior experience.
2. I see some stern pickers w/fairely low horse power this would give me incentive to make it as a troller/gill-netter. Do you think this boat idea is a too heavy of a compromise to both fisheries or is the plan doable? I could at least keep my hand troll permit for starters if I did not qualify for both net and power troll.
3. Lastly, generally speaking do decent gill-netters bring in better income than trollers or is the price of the permit higher because the seasons shorter but yields similar income?

I appreciate any advice/opinions and want to here your perspectives as trollers because I do come from that frame of mind. I would rather just troll but, I could also be happy netting and hand trolling in spring and winter fisheries.
In short,I have been brainstorming various ideas for years now how to make a living fishing and I am about finally to take a risk.

Advise on this forum has helped me eliminate a lot of dumb ideas I had in the past so thanks again for any contribution!
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Some objective advise needed about nets

Post by curmudgeon »

Here's where you can answer some of those questions by comparing the earnings quartiles for the various fisheries. http://www.cfec.state.ak.us/quartile/mnusalm.htm
elhewman

Post by elhewman »

Thanks. thats some answers my main question!
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Good luck with your decision. From looking at brokerage sites, gillnet permits are coming back down to earth, as far as prices go. Plenty of them on the market.