Gurdies wanted HELP

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
fishireland
Spammer?: No

Gurdies wanted HELP

Post by fishireland »

Hi there I am a fisherman located on the west coast of ireland and this site has the kind of gear im looking for although for a differnt species. What i am looking for is a second hand manual gurdie to operate diveboards. You cannot buy these gurdies in ireland so this is why i am here i dont know much about them so i need help locating one which would suit me. The diveboards are for pollack i dont know if your familiar with them they are a plastic shaped piece that will dive to different depths depending on the board you use (different size boards and shape k and h type) and depending on board different ratio of line to get to desired depth behind the board is a trace with maybe ten lures it works excellent for pollack muck better than trollling or jigging in my opinion the smallest boards you can operate by hand but the deeper you go with bigger boards obviously the more drag when the board catches fish it flips because it is unstable and floats but the drag is to much to hold and you need to be able to reel in and out to suit depth they dive to about 40 meters (150 feet) these are not a paravane although similar these lines could possiblly have 100 lbs of fish at a time so what i need is a couple of second hand reels to get started will go hydrauulic if things go well so to try and finish need to know which one would be good for weight and drag any help really if your selling one whatever if you would like to see one go to the fairwater fishing website all info on them there not sure how to attach yet just joined sorry this was so long ps just something kind of cheap to start
Robot
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Gurdies wanted HELP

Post by Robot »

Hello. Now, I'm not too sure what you're talking about, but it sounds like a cross between a dingle bar setup and a trolling diver? Here are the 'manual gurdies' (hand gurdies) I use and have had 100+ pounds of fish as well as my 25# trolling lead on a single wire at a time. Managed to do the job just fine. Just a little slower.
image.jpeg
image1.jpeg
They are Kolstrand hand gurdies, mostly nylon (I believe) in construction. Kolstrand is out of Seattle, Washington. Brand new they retail for around $350-$400 (depends on where you live) but if you search craigslist and other classified websites you should be able to find them, second hand, but cheaper. I'd suggest the Pacific Northwest region of the USA and B.C Canada for units similar to this.

There are, of course, a lot of other brands out there. Some are very nice and very good quality, yet they can be expensive. If you are just looking for a reasonably priced unit or pair to test out these would be the ones I'd suggest. Some of the more expensive ones can go for upwards of $2000 each.

Rob
fishireland

Re: Gurdies wanted HELP

Post by fishireland »

That is a brilliant help exactly what i wanted, i tried to buy one new of seattlemarine but they would not ship out of u.s it was the same as the one you posted thanks for that very helpful. Sorry i could not explain it better how it works it is hard to explain but all the info is on the website i mentioned fairwater fishing it is in the uk they explain it quiet well on the website sorry forgot to add the main weight would be the drag of the board itself hard to tell really how much. The h type board is about 17 inches long so creates a lot of drag thanks for all your help much appreciated