Stronger than steel but floats

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
pomfret1uku
Spammer?: No

Stronger than steel but floats

Post by pomfret1uku »

I'm wondering if people have used. the new , stronger than steel lines like spectra or spider wire type on their gurdies instead of stainless wire. I'm thinking the small diameter could allow for deeper fishing with less lead.
Flyer

Re: Stronger than steel but floats

Post by Flyer »

I made some spectra wires and have been using them on my floats w/ 35# balls for 3 years now (same lines) and have had very good success with them. If I could figure out a cost-effective way to mass-produce them I would market them.
pomfret1uku

Post by pomfret1uku »

Hey that is interesting! I don't want you to divulge secrets but wondering about you pound test. I figure the wire was like 700 pound. I have used 300 lb spectra type for black cod sets with good sized weights. I'm thinking tho the test has to be higher like 600 or so. Also what did you come up with for stops? Great you experimented . Does the angle seem better, or can u use less lead?
FVFlyer

Post by FVFlyer »

Breaking strength is about 550#. I did come up with a method for stops, but I won't divulge it here...

I don't notice any significant angle difference from similar-sized wire, but one clear benefit is that it will not link or twist during turns. I find this very useful on float lines. I am now on season 4 with the same line, with minimal abrasion. I did cut off the last 1.5 fm and re-splice this year as I noted a little bit of abrasion wear on the last stop, but that was after 3 seasons' use.

I had to put production of this wire on the back burner due to some family priorities, but I still have plans to make more and eventually bring it to market, at least to a limited degree.
pomfret1uku

Post by pomfret1uku »

Good longevity on that line! What about the heavies? Still using wire or the synthetic?
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Been a minute since I checked in here…

I’m getting 2-3 seasons on it. I use wire on my heavies but i like the spectra on my bags because it doesn’t kink. When you turn it will twist up like wire, but it straightens right out with no damage. Overall I think it works pretty well.