Opinions On SAW Trolling Wire

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
JKD
Spammer?: No

Opinions On SAW Trolling Wire

Post by JKD »

I was wondering if anyone here on the Forum has had experience using the trolling wire products found on the following site: http://www.trollingwire.com/ ?? I understand that Stan West has been marketing his wire for awhile and was hoping to get some feedback from trollers who have used it for long enough to form an opinion about it's characteristics. I certainly don't discount the testimonials provided on the website, I'd just like to learn more. I am most interested in feedback on the 1X19 strand 1/16-inch wire that is being recommended for use with floatbags. Thanks.
gumpucky

Re: Opinions On SAW Trolling Wire

Post by gumpucky »

I just got off the phone with them about 10 minutes ago placing my order. It seems I've seen commentary on their product on the forum that was favorable. Couldn't be any worse than what we've been stuck with lo these many years. Willing to try anything at this point. Sorry won't have an opinion on this until spring but would also like to hear from those that have tried it. If it's a better wire and I save a couple hundred bucks that's a win win in my book. BTW...They ship the product to you with a return envelope which upon receipt of the wire you then send them a check. They don't like cards so you wont get any miles out of em. Trusting souls.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Would love a report.
Hans2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Hans2 »

I've only fished this one year, so take my my comments with that in mind -
I respooled with their 7 strand 1/16, 2fa wire before the season. Very easy company to do business with. I abused this wire all year and only have good things to say. The only time a brass mark slipped was when I ran the snap through a block. I did it more times than I'd like to admit in the beginning, but only rarely did it cause a mark to slide. The standard bass replacement marks you get in the stores for splicing grip this wire really well. Any repair I made held for the rest of the season. I had a terrible first day of twisting that resulted in breaking of and losing a lead and 20 fa of gear, but I soon discovered I had a mismatched block on my hayrack. Replaced the block and didn't have a twisting issue for the rest of the season. Only found reason to cut and splice a few times apart from my twisting issue, and that was always related to my running a snap through a block.
I suspect I'll have a more valid opinion of it at the end of next season, will share for if anybody asks.

Chris
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I have eliminated the problem of damaging snaps and wire buy running them into the block. Take off your fair leads. I have a much easier system without them. Don't need blue buttons either.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Merry Christmas. It started with my bow poles but now on all 4 lines. I just tie an Oregon twine loop of about 3-4 inches and half hitch it onto the line at the depth I am fishing. Then I have those little brass or stainless snaps on the end of my tag lines. I built little hooks at the right spots to hang the tag while running the wire. Snap it on and off every time I run a wire. No fair leads to deal with. When the snap goes through the bock it just keeps going. The only time you ruin a snap is when it goes all the way through both blocks and wraps around the gutsy. About two snaps a year.
I half hitch the Oregon twine loop so the knot is next to the wire. Makes it easy to pull off when you change depths. The only problem is that when you break a tag you need to cast out to retrieve the tag. Weighted treble hook on a spinning rod works great.
Zedlander

Post by Zedlander »

The only issue I see with this method, is exactly what you mentioned, having to collect your tag line every time the Oregon twine tag line breaks. When I fish, I seem to break a doughnut tag line at least once a day, and you are losing time by having to go get the fishing rod and cast out to retrieve it, or by having to raise a pole to get your tag line back. Do you think it would be practicable to attach a retrieval line to your tag line for when it breaks, then you could just pull it in by hand? If so, I really do like this method you have suggested Salty. Thanks!
jgallagher33

Post by jgallagher33 »

Salty how often do you break the Oregon twine loops a season?
JKD

Post by JKD »

Aside from the recent fairlead/snap damage tangent this thread discussion went off on - I am still most interested in some feedback from trollers who have used SAW 1X19 [1/16-inch] trolling wire for long enough to have an opinion on its handling characteristics. Does it in fact NOT kink when used with float bags? Does it show show anything other than normal wear and tear after a season of hard use, and etc.? Thanks.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

JKD. I am interested in that feedback on SAW wire too.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

J Gallagher. About once a day. My spinning rod is right there. I always try to get the tag on first cast. Average is about two. Lost time compared to screwing with fair leads, rebuilding snaps, and replacing wire damaged from running snaps into fair leads.......negligible.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

just thinking a pressure relief valve set low could save wire from getting trashed.
kylejon

Post by kylejon »

I used saw wire last year, I really like the 1x19 but as far as i can tell the 1/16" is the same as the other brand. The 1x19 strandx1/16" wire is flexible and great on floats or any other line. The company is easy to deal with and i received the wire a few days in the mail after ordering it. I have to say its nice to have another option to choose from as far as wire goes.
Fish n electrician

Post by Fish n electrician »

Been fishing the saw wire for 2 years now out of Monterey and up and down the coast.
I have wrapped my share of rock piles, crab pot and buoys.
I think I have everyone beat here on wrapping crab pots!!!
They great thing about the saw wire is it doesn't "LOOP" and get kinks in it when you stretch it out like the stiff wire I/we are used to fishing.
Also when you are making a turn and your inside wire goes slack, the saw wire is like a heavy twine or rope, it won't loop and twist like the stiff wire.
Thus when you're getting back on your tack and straighten out, it won't kink.
No kinks=no frays
I first started fishing saw wire on my just my heavies, then changed out saw to my floats also.
Way easier.
IMHO it is better and stronger than traditional wire.
Make sure when you first spool it on you do so with a lot of tension like you are pulling in your weights.
Just my $0.02 worth!
JKD

Post by JKD »

Thanks for all of the input. Based on what I'm reading - I'm going to go ahead and order some 1X19 for my floatbags to start with and if I like how it acts, I'll buy some more for my heavies.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

I've been looking into this as well. I like Pacific Net's wire and used it for years. Really thought about moving to Stan's wire because the quality is there and price was right. Until I looked at the Canadian exchange rate. which is $.79 to the US dollar. You have to pay the shipping and duty, but if your buying gear for the season or can combine some other boats into one order do it. It's roughly a 20% discount to buy in Canada right now.
Scotthmt

Post by Scotthmt »

Stan is a great guy, he talked with me at length even before I was in a position to buy his wire, he is a straight up guy and I'm positive if you have any issues he will take care of them. I mean, he sends your product before you even pay for it, who does that these days??
Brother Dave

Post by Brother Dave »

What are the thoughts on SAW wire now that a bit more time has passed?
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Brother Dave,

1/19 - 1/16th inch purchased in 2015 gave us one splice all summer. Checking the wire yesterday, revealed one strand broken. Spliced that as well for a total of 2 for over a year. Turning was improved, no twisting, saved a lot of hassle running floats. Worth every penny so far.

Respectfully,

Lane
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Lane: If I remember right, SAW company wants to steer us toward machine marked (brass?). They do have an option for hand marked that seems to drive the price up considerably. Which do you use?