Iridium Vs. Globalstar

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Fisherwoman
Spammer?: No

Iridium Vs. Globalstar

Post by Fisherwoman »

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two. Has globalstar really improved their service in Southeast? Or is it better to spend the money and go with iridium?
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Iridium Vs. Globalstar

Post by Once and Future »

My understanding - and I MAY VERY WELL BE WRONG - is that with Iridium, someone can call you just about anytime you have your phone on. I mean to say the Iridium phone will be "connected" with a satellite about 98% of the time. Whereas with the Globalstar system, you have to take action for your phone to be connected. In other words, useful for making calls, but not useful for someone to contact you if you are not expecting a call.

If I am wrong, I hope someone will correct me. That is the conclusion I came to when looking into this a couple years ago. My memory is that the Iridium system is unique in the way its satellites cover the globe in a grid-like manner, and your Iridium phone is automatically switched to the one nearest/strongest.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Iridium Vs. Globalstar

Post by Salty »

I have had both. Have Iridium now. Not especially happy with Iridium in that you lose minutes unless you roll them into another purchase. The Iridium connections are fine in SE Alaska. If I was a highliner I would get a track phone.