Requesting Opinions ~ Boat Yard in Bellingham

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Dave Koester
Spammer?: No

Requesting Opinions ~ Boat Yard in Bellingham

Post by Dave Koester »

I have been looking for a fiberglass troller for 4 months...found a good deal on a 28' Monterey Clipper in Half Moon Bay (one inch south of San Fran) and bought the Addie L... jut to make sure that I had a boat for the 2015 P Troll season.

Talking with a boat hauler that will drag her up I-5 for about $2,700 ...seems worth it to me.but also intrigued by the idea of taking our time this late winter and early spring and sailing her up. It being a "New-to-me" boat seems like the safety factor of getting to know her in inside waters is really the best route to go rather than taking her up the coast.

Need to know a good boat yard to recieve her in the Bellingham area...she has wood poles that I want to convert to aluminum and I will be upgrading a few electronics along the way so access to marine survices is of value.

Thanks!

Dave
MonkeyFish

Re: Requesting Opinions ~ Boat Yard in Bellingham

Post by MonkeyFish »

Look into Port Townsend. A bit of a drive from b-ham, but loads of talent at multiple yards.
Hans2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Hans2 »

Are you set on keeping her in Bellingham?
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

Google Seaview boatyard in Bellingham.

I don't know their current rates but they are a legit full service yard.
boatcat

Post by boatcat »

Even though Joel and I have a house in Bellingham, we do all our boat work in PT. Seaview North may be fine, but there's nothing like the community and craftsmanship you'll find in the Port Townsend Boat Yard. (After you're back in the water, though, better moorage rates in B'ham and much likelier chance of getting a spot.) Congrats on your new boat!
Dave Koester

Post by Dave Koester »

Thanks everyone! Addie L now sits in Bellingham. We will meet her there in early March and see what she needs...I think I will just need to have new poles fabricated. Love PT and can understand the advice on going there...Fish On!
Dave Koester

Post by Dave Koester »

Starting our third week of work in the yard at Colony Wharf in Bellingham...Can't say enough good about the folks who run the yard. Really helpful and generous. The boat yard to the north was much more expensive and seems to cater to the yacht crowed based on the boat inventory there. There is every marine trade available at this yard...and Bellingham is great town...good food and easy to get around and every store you might need. Redden Marine hooked us up with a deep discounts for being in the yard so make sure you open an account with them when you get here. They are just three blocks away so can go on multiple runs a day and not loose too much time. Not too many wood boats here so can imagine if you have a wood boat you might put a premium on PT. Will let you know how it wraps up.