EASTHOPE GURDIES?

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
F/V MEGAN
Spammer?: No

EASTHOPE GURDIES?

Post by F/V MEGAN »

Anyone know how much it costs to get a set of easthopes rebuilt these days? I have two sets with original easthope valves that are both four spool. Also how much to ask for if I decide to let them go?
fvsedna

Re: EASTHOPE GURDIES?

Post by fvsedna »

In Sitka you can have It done for 190.00 per spool for labor, plus parts. Parts for Easthopes, you can count on new machined & keyed shafts & all new stainless fasteners. Unless they have been bored out previously they do not require bushings like the other brands of gurdys. If any existing parts need rebuilt or repaired that will be charged a shop rate.
As for the value, It depends on who Is buying I guess. Depending on the level of "used" condition they are In, a three spool set could be between 3-5,000.00. If the motors are junk or really rusted up..that would be a 7-900.00 dollar expense for whomever Is buying. A four spool set Is Illegal In S.E., so they would need to be trimmed down for use here. The upside to that Is "spare parts" for a 3 spool set. Some one else here on this site may have a more accurate value for you.
Take care & good luck
Andrew Callistini
SalmonSeeker

Post by SalmonSeeker »

Could you use a four spool if one spool was dedicated to the stabi?
F/V Comanche
fvsedna

Post by fvsedna »

Here Is the link to our rule book, I don't know If It will let you link directly off of It from here, so If you highlight/copy & paste It will bring up our complete commercial salmon regulations. Scroll down to page 98 & you'll see the CF wording. Word of mouth has always told me 4 spools was Illegal to even have on board...whether there Is no wire on the 4th spool or It Is filled with cement. I have never actually looked It up until now.
thanks...
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/regul ... 2-2015.pdf
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

(d) No more than six troll gurdies may be mounted on board any salmon power troll vessel.

Great explanation Andrew. Here is the exact wording on page 98 of Andrew's link.

I have fished Easthope gurdies since I bought a set from Bob Easthope in 1988. I just bought a set Andrew rebuilt. I highly recommend him if you need gurdies worked on.
F/V MEGAN

Post by F/V MEGAN »

Yeah thanks guys for all the comebacks on the post. After really looking them over I found that they are both in really good condition. Ended up taking the time and cutting one set down to a three spool and putting them back together. I've decided to keep everything for now. If I still decide to let a set go I'll throw them back on here with a bunch of pictures and see what I can get for them.

Thanks!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

i need one of these for a set of Easthopes.   Help, please send a pm to salty if you can help.
i need one of these for a set of Easthopes. Help, please send a pm to salty if you can help.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Salty wrote:
image.jpg
I also needed this part a few years ago. I found that other gurdies (Kolstrand etc) use the same universal housing because they are fashioned with the hydraulic "motor" bolt pattern in mind. All hydraulic motors have the same bolt pattern so Easthopes are not unique this way. Even the 1" ID keyed internal coupler adapted since the 1" shaft is also universal.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

That is a pretty stout part, what went wrong with it?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

We had 4 sets of Easthopes around here in various condition. Somehow we ended up this part short after one of the guys took his. Looks like about $500 to have it machined locally. We have two sets in excellent condition and Andrew Castellini is rebuilding the third set.
If anyone knows of one somewhere let me know today or tomorrow as I am about to commit to have it made.
Has anyone on here used a Kolstrand coupler on an Easthope?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Carojae, do you have a picture?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Thanks Carojae, Andrew has ordered a Kolstrand coupler.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Welcome.