Need the services of a shipwight in Astoria

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
SalmonSeeker
Spammer?: No

Need the services of a shipwight in Astoria

Post by SalmonSeeker »

I am in need of a shipwright for wooden boat work in Astoria, OR. Any suggestions?
F/V Comanche
Jackson

Re: Need the services of a shipwight in Astoria

Post by Jackson »

Wow, I was just about to post a similar question. I'll let you know who I find and vice versa? So far it sounds like the better place to get hauled out is actually Ilwaco. I'm new to the North Oregon coast and only here until I can take my new boat :) :) back to S.E. I thought you were outfitting that 26' fiberglass, are you looking at something bigger?
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Ah my mistake, I was thinking of "steelheadstalker"
SalmonSeeker

Post by SalmonSeeker »

Will be in Astoria and Illwaco next Tues. If your around, I'll buy you a cup of coffee and we can compare notes. PM me.
F/V Comanche
nashfam

Post by nashfam »

Hey Jackson I just put a downpayment on a boat in Astoria! When are you trying to bring yours up?
Chris+Iris Nash, F/V Orion
tunaddict

Post by tunaddict »

Thought I might add alittle about Ilwwaco. I keep my boat there. They are more relaxed on there rules in the yard. It is cheaper. The only problem in both yards is finding some one to do the work. I just came from looking at a boat in Port towmsend and was very impressed with the yard. There were shipwrights all over the place, availability of materials seems abundant. Long run from the river, but closer to your end goal. Good luck
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

I've been hearing nothing but good things about Port Townsend and have been considering making the run up. There are a couple stern ribs and fastenings on the new boat I'm worried about. It looks like the previous owner just started to neglect the boat the last couple of years and it turned quickly... But in decent weather that shouldn't be a bad trip...

SalmonSeeker, if I'm around I'll get in touch.
SalmonSeeker

Post by SalmonSeeker »

Thanks Tunaddict. I am planning on doing most of the work myself, but would like a shipwright to do a once over with me, signoff on my work plan and serve as a technical conscience of sorts. I am a little concerned about material availability, but figure that there are sources that ship. Coffee invitation is open to you also if interested and available.
F/V Comanche
tunaddict

Post by tunaddict »

Coffee sounds good. I will be down next week on Wed, I will look for the boat. I know the boat. Amco across the river is the best place for wood. I walked in last year lookin for rub rail, got a real woody just looking at all they had. Good luck
SalmonSeeker

Post by SalmonSeeker »

I will be in Illwaco on Tues., but need to be in Westport on Wed. and Thurs. Will be coming back thru Illwaco on Friday AM. My boat is not in Illwaco yet. It is in Westport at the moment. Should be bringing it down about first week n March.
F/V Comanche
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

nashfam wrote:Hey Jackson I just put a downpayment on a boat in Astoria! When are you trying to bring yours up?
Don't know how I missed this post. Hoping to bring it up in March or early April. Depends on how temperamental the weather still is.

SalmonSeeker, who'd you end up finding?
SalmonSeeker

Post by SalmonSeeker »

Found two, ED Greene in Astoria and Earl Soule in Illwaco. I think Earl actually lives in Westport WA. If you need either I can send you the phone numbers. Was just in Astoria. Which boat did you buy?
F/V Comanche