Furuno Navnet 3D

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Furuno Navnet 3D

Post by mattakfish »

Anyone out there have a furuno Navnet 3D setup? Considering the MFD 8, UHD 24 inch radar, and a sonar box. Have not been able to find any reviews. Would love to hear from anyone that has it....especially how the radar overlay is. Also wondering about any reviews of furuno UHD radar versus Garmin xHD.
Matt on the F/V Aurora
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Furuno Navnet 3D

Post by Crawfish »

My radar quit this year "4KW open array antenna" Furuno. I went exploring options on stand alone radars, combination units radar, plotter, sounders and so on. I got the consensus from the electronics dealers that Furuno is well equipped but Garmin may be a good alternative cost/quality wise. If my memory serves me right you could get a open array 4KW combo from Garmin for around $2500 or less. The similar equipped unit from Furuno was over $6K. I thought about it for a while and decided to get my old Furuno fixed as I really like it. I trust Furuno products for the longevity. If you look at most of the long range tuna boats they are mostly running Furuno. But at two and a half times the cost it made me do a double take on Garmin. The negatives on Garmin are around a two week turn around for repair. I was able to get my Furuno fixed in two days. When they are biting two weeks is too long.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mattakfish »

Thanks for the reply. Open array may be a bit pricey for me but I'm still researching.
Matt on the F/V Aurora
Westforsalmon

Post by Westforsalmon »

I just purchased the gp33 with the mfd12 with the gps for now and absolutely love it .
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mattakfish »

Good to hear.....thanks. I have a GP33 as well. I just assumed the MFD would come with its own gps antenna/receiver but I guess not. Everything's a la carte!
Matt on the F/V Aurora
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Here is a picture of my 1st Gen Nav Net with a 600w transducer in Veta Bay. I snapped the picture because the whale had dove under me. You can see the whale down there. A king at around 130. A group of humpies up higher. But, with a decent transducer you'll generally see all the kings/cohos under you and get an idea of what's in the area and at what depth. You can see what a difference the duel frequency makes. 50 rules in the deeper water. Radar with the overlay is pretty good on Nav Net too.