Recent Pink salmon observation.

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
elhewman
Spammer?: No

Recent Pink salmon observation.

Post by elhewman »

A few weeks ago during the heavy rainfall and near flooding I noticed the harbors here in Sitka were loaded with struggling immature pink salmon alevin(egg sac un-absorbed). Anyway In my ten years in Sitka I have not seen any significant numbers of alevin or fry until at-least mid March and then most of them were in a stronger fry form. Not sure how many actually got washed out during the the heavy rainfall but I wonder if it could effect the future run in up an coming years to a certain degree. I am not worried as SE pinks can spawn in about anything that has quality H20 but wondered if anyone felt like chiming in. I guess drought would be more reason to have concern.

I felt sorry for the little buggers though, as they definitely did not look ready for the salt and the predation it can bring. A few could have been cohos and dogs as well.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Recent Pink salmon observation.

Post by Salty »

Washouts, will die. Interesting that you saw a lot. Which harbors?
elhewman
Spammer?: No

Re: Recent Pink salmon observation.

Post by elhewman »

Crescent and Sealing. They were pretty thick and concentrated for a while there.