Leader lenght

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Leader lenght

Post by Salty »

lost long post on why I haven't used Jinkai or Yama mono in 30 years. Better, cheaper, leader blends out there guys.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Post by Trnaround »

I have been using Yama and Jinkai for 25 years and never seen a need to change. I think I like the Yama better but I get what ever is available at the time. They both fit the sleeves I use so no diff. but I think Yama ties easier if you use knots. One thing I didn't mention about length of leaders that I like about shorter leaders, I can run my gear much faster and get it back down without round hauling all of that extra line. That makes a huge difference when you are in a good bite and even scratch fishing, you are in fish so get it back down quickly. If you are considering cost, it also makes a big difference using half the line.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I only coil leaders when stacking gear at end of day when fishing king and coho. The leaders are so short in stacking chum/pink gear that we don't coil leaders.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Same idea as the Qi hooks. One thing I didn't mention is the Qi hooks seem to be lighter than a Mustad of comparable size. The 7/0s are light enough to fish on spoons. The heavier gauge rod stock on the 7/0s (verses a 6/0 or 5/0) really makes a difference fishing spoons on the snooters with 9 foot leaders. I just don't loose many fish.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I agree Lulu.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

That straight point looks a lot like the Qi hook. I think I remember this Mustad hook. It is very heavy relative to a claw point?????
Scotthmt

Post by Scotthmt »

The left hook on the first picture is a qi 6/0, the hook next to it is a 7/0 old stock mustad, it is heavy, definitely not a spoon hook but will be a great hoochie hook.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Depends on the spoon. I am sure I have caught more kings on a #7 SS hook on spoons than any other hook.