max dry time for bottom paint

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

max dry time for bottom paint

Post by mattakfish »

Anyone know if there is a maximum dry time for amercoat 214? Only shows a minimum on can and other literature. I usually paint on grid And splash as soon as tide comes up. This is first time painting in the yard And ive heard you need to launch soon after painting but not sure how soon that needs to be. I've got the weather today and tomorrow but I am also putting in a transducer and want to give that sealant a week to fully cure Before launch. Don't want to miss this weather window to paint...... Is a fresh coat of amercoat 214 OK out of water for a week?
Matt on the F/V Aurora
Lulu

Re: max dry time for bottom paint

Post by Lulu »

look under PGG marine coatings. Product description says 8 hrs to recoat and 10 days from immersion at 50 degrees F. Cut the time in half at 70 degrees F.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mattakfish »

Thanks for the info......Found that on the site too at http://ppgpmcalliances.com/products/pdf/214_PDS_AI.pdf
but I think they are referring to minimum hours before immersion rather than max days. i.e 5 hours before immersion at 70 degrees and 10 at 50. Maybe you found max days on a different link. Anyway, talking with a few friends in the yard today, it sounds like a week is OK. Thanks again for the reply!
Matt on the F/V Aurora
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mattakfish »

Of course it would be pretty tough to get a full five to ten hours of drying time on the grid! The paint would have to go on while the boat was still underwater :)
Matt on the F/V Aurora
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

If in doubt, call the tec line. I think it is listed under the "contact us" tab. PGG is back east so they'll be 3 hours ahead of us.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mattakfish »

Thanks again!
Matt on the F/V Aurora