Flashers

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Flashers

Post by Salty »

Color does matter. When you can tell best is when you are fishing pinks and chums because you have hundreds of bites a day to evaluate what is getting bit or not.
The other aid is partners who catch way more than almost anyone else and share.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Post by Crawfish »

Salty,

If you were to choose one manufacturer of flashers to be the "do all" one.

Which would it be?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Gibbs.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Thanks for the link. Gonna try some.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

actually, the ones I use are discontinued. I just looked in my box on boat for kings and coho. Hot spot blue Mylar red Mylar, red with brass mylar, green and blue stripers, and a variety.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Resurrecting an old posting: I wanted to know, and put to rest, if red fish better than green flashers. I fished the entire season with red on the starboard and green on the port. Conclusion: it didn't make any difference. Green may have caught a few percentages more, but I'll attribute that to the port side heavy is the money wire. It wouldn't have mattered what color was on that wire, it is generally the first to go off.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

When trolling west off the coast of SE Alaska the port heavy or bow is often the first to encounter the south migrating fish. But, in different places, at different times any one line can become hot. Bonding Gurdies together, and checking individual line and lead voltages helps me keep them all at my lowline production rate.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

By the way, I completely changed my flasher array for both chums and winter kings in August of this year. Has saved me a lot of work handling fish.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Some boats fish flashers better than spoons. I fished closely with another boat this year. Lulu is 7 feet deep and 50,000#s. She doesn't jerk or surge forward like my buddies 30" fiberglass boat with a 3' draft. Looking back into my catch records, I could see Lulu fishes flashers much better than spoons. The thought was confirmed when my running mate was stuffin' me with his spoons. I had a hard time just getting bit using the same spoons, line arrangement, and troll speed. The sea conditions were always the same; i.e. scratch bite, little to no wind, low seas. What we learned is every boat fishes differently. Experiment constantly to learn more about the boat and the fish. Maximize what you learn and disregard dock talk. I confirmed Lulu fishes flashers better than spoons this year and was always able to catch up or surpass his morning flurry. I'll never forget his expression as he past me during the afternoon tide change. I was throwing them over 3 to a wire while he was getting one to a wire sometimes. He had me down 20 before noon, it didn't end that way. Point is learn your boat and forget about what others are doing. All they tell you is there is or is not fish in the area.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Good point, learn your boat, develop your system, and utilize information from others to enhance your ideas, not replace them. My experience is that the correct flasher combination with bait, hootchies, or bugs will almost always out fish straight spoons. But, sometimes pinks or other factors mean you don't want to use flashers. Then there are times when the right mixture of spoons, bait, plugs, and flashers/hootchies will out produce one type only in Chinook, or Chinook/coho fishing.

Good luck.