Sea Anchors

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
latitudes
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Sea Anchors

Post by latitudes »

I am looking at getting a sea anchor for this year's tuna season. We spent some bumpy nights on the ocean last summer, and I thought this might help, and maybe allow us to sleep, rather than have to jog into it on rough nights.
Any recommendations on what brands are best? Any other advice on how to set it up would be greatly appreciated. It will be run on a 46' boat that is about 30 tons.

Thanks!
Joe
lone eagle

Re: Sea Anchors

Post by lone eagle »

I thought that might be a good idea too, just to stay on the Grounds but I was advised not to go that route as too much could go wrong .The obvious danger is a line in the prop or rudder but a line in the stabe might be a real problem too. So I haven't yet set up a system, just take a little Nyquil.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

The other issue is boats drifting into you because they were not running a sea anchor. If your by yourself and the wind is screaming all night you can't beat the ride.
pomfret1uku

Post by pomfret1uku »

I have used them a lot. They are amazing in that the boat can move up wind if the current and wind are opposite. You are stuck like at anchor but not as much jerking. Thesurpluss ones work great. But are more difficult to retrieve due to fullness in shape trapping water. Bonafide ones are expensive. And last longer. Both can be tripped to retrieve by letting go the main line and either powering or letting wind back the boat to spill the shute