Got a GPS steering compass.Autopilot's finally working right

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Tempo
Spammer?: No

Got a GPS steering compass.Autopilot's finally working right

Post by Tempo »

I purchased Nobeltec Catch with the Bathy Recorder and Radar overlay. Both are cool features; both have helped me find the fish and stay safe. But for the money, the best new piece of technology I've put on Dorothy Ann is a GPS Steering compass. I'd go back to my buggy freeware plotter before I used a magnetic compass to steer my boat again. Eric Holmgren (Current Navigation) had all the equipment to retrofit my Comnav 2001 unit with a new less-expensive GPS compass. Works in swell; works in chop. The autopilot pump is working less. Eric drew me a diagram showing what color wires go where; took me a couple hours to get it steering.
Let me know if you have any question about them. I'd like to see everyone going nice and straight on the winter line.
~ Casey
salmon4u

Re: Got a GPS steering compass.Autopilot's finally working r

Post by salmon4u »

What brand gps compass did you install?
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

How big is your boat?
I recently purchased a new autopilot system that relies on a GPS compass, and the electrician I approached about installing the unit suggested I rethink my purchase as he said gps based steering was less accurate and efficient on larger boats. Which was contradictory to what I had read in reviews. I've waited on installing the unit.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Include me. I'd like to know more about a steering compass.
Is it hid somewhere like a flux gate is? or........?

Sounds interesting. I am also tired of the auto pilot having problems in a following sea.
salmon4u

Post by salmon4u »

The ones I know of are the Comnavs, Furunos and Simrads. They work great, you're looking at 2-4k

http://dealers.comnavmarine.com/temp/20 ... 13_WEB.pdf
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Casey,
Thanks a million. I will look at installing.

Eric
DiamondLil

Post by DiamondLil »

I had a ComNav Vector I that died, possibly due to getting too close to a big light fixture when I was hauled. This was manufactured by someone else and sold by ComNav who would no longer support it. I bought a Furuno SC30 that has worked very well on a 47' steel troller. A friend has an SC50 on a 65' steel tuna/longliner.
In both cases all the steering problems went away. They're not cheap, but very highly recommended.

Cheers,
Joe
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Thanks Joe.
Tempo

Post by Tempo »

Hemisphere is the manufacturer for several other brands who put there decal on them. Comnav's unit use to be made by hemisphere but now comnav makes theirs in house. Buying these units directly through Hemisphere is cheaper (Dorothy Ann's was about $1300 in September 2015).
However this year, Comnav (and several other brands) have started marketing solid state rate compasses. These are 3 fluxgate compasses mounted on X, Y, and Z axises in order to compensate for pitch, yaw, and roll. . Comnav's unit is manufactured by a company called Airmar. I bought one for Eileen's Comnav P2 system since they are so much cheaper than even Hemisphere's GPS compass. So far, the Solid State Rate Compass is steering the boat great at fast and troll speeds. The compass reading is in tenths of a degree and seems to be accurate. Supposedly these compass are accurate enough for heading sensing for radar overlay too but I haven't connected up my units yet to try this.
I was warned that rate compass might not work well on steer boats since they need to be mounted at the waterline and away from ferrous metal.