New and Productive Spoons

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Lulu
Spammer?: No

New and Productive Spoons

Post by Lulu »

I commented earlier that my boat doesn't fish spoons very well because she's deep and heavy eliminating that quick jerk action a lighter boat will give to the spoon. However, I did find a spoon this year that did work reasonably well. It's Saw Wire's N2-FI 584 FS. It is white with fish scale tape on one side. I understand Saw Wire's best seller is the 7 D 948, white with a blue tape.

Saw Wire's spoon has a fractionally deeper cup, made of thin gauged brass, and dances like a teenager. I used a 1/0 Rosco rolling swivel, heavy duty split rings, and a Qi 6/0 claw point hook (I tried several iterations before settling on this combination).

Warning, this is a throw away spoon. They come up bent and deformed. But, you can bend them back to the approximate shape and they still fish until they're completely deformed.

Dock talk tells me that the 7 D is the hottest thing going and the highliners are trying to keep it a secret. Well, I just let the cat out of the bag. I didn't fish this one because, by the time I knew about it, bait was the only way to go. But, you can bet I will have it in the mix in 2016.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: New and Productive Spoons

Post by Salty »

Did you try the N2- st-f1?
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Nope. I try to keep it simple. All white or white with chrome. The N2 looks pretty though.

I know the D-4 is really heavy compared to a Tom Mack (I have few of them). Which, by the way, the origin Tom Macks (that came in a cardboard box and manufactured in White Salmon, OR) are lighter than the current ones made in China (packaged in a bag). Neither one of the Tom Mack fish well for me, but I have running partners that swear by them and have stuffed me with them. I can generally keep a respectable distance with the N2-FIs until the fish start biting hoochies or I can figure it out.
Scotthmt

Post by Scotthmt »

I tried all of stans spoons and they work well. what size hook did you go with? I used 5/0 qi and the action worked well except the hooks would open on larger fish, later on I switched to 7/0 qi but did not run them long enough to determine if they fished as well versus the smaller books, although I had no opening up issues with them and managed to catch a few.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

I started with 7/0 iQs straight hooks and ended up with iQ 5/0 claw hooks. the 5/0 fished better (more bites) the fish weren't big enough this year to trade off bites verses landings. I had some 20#ers on the 5/0s so they did the job. When I went to bait I took all the hay bailing hooks off and traded for the 5/0. Only lost a few fish to bent hooks, which I think were white sea bass. You know, one of those hits that shakes the entire boat, pulls the wire halfway to the anchorage, then nothing but a bent hook.
Next year I will start with 5/0s on the hoochies too.
Scotthmt

Post by Scotthmt »

Interesting, I prefer 7-8 claw points on my hoochies and my bait hooks, have tried smaller and lost fish although they were of the larger variety. The fish this year were small I agree, I used qi 5 straight points and had good success but did have a few bent spoons that fish managed the bend and Pop off. I really like big hooks but spoons seem to be tempermental when it comes to larger heavier hooks. The threshers were prevalent this year as well, they stole a fair amount of gear from me too. That same spoon with the pink scale tape fished very well too, along with the j71 hoochie. Was a tough year to learn but I look forward to next year granted we get a next year. See you on the water.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I like the Qi hooks too. Mike, the distributor was my neighbor for years. I like the 6.0 for little spoons.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

I really like iQ's 7/0 straight hook (Q-510) too because: the gauge of steel is heavier than the 5-7/0 claw points, they keep their shin longer than other brands, and the distance from the point to the throat of the hook is longer. These hooks seldom bend and fish don't throw them very often which increases production. I've used them exclusively with the hoochies for several years. With that said, spoons are another world which I hate to fish. It seems I loose more fish at the boat with spoons. But my running mate cleaned my clock more than once this year with his spoons. I had to figure out how to fish spoon because I know the boat doesn't fish spoons well (its the deep and heavy thing). I tried lots of combinations of spoons, swivels, split rings, and all sizes of hooks. It came down to Saw Wire's spoons and the lightest combination of terminal tackle I could find that made the difference; i.e. they caught fish. I could stay in the game until I could make the hoochies work.

One thing I know for sure. Next year will be different. At least I won't have a closed mind to trying spoons and I know where to start.
Big Chinook

Post by Big Chinook »

Where are you finding these saw wire spoons?
paul
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by paul »

trollingwire.com
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

http://www.trollingwire.com or google "Saw Wire fishing wire"
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

A lot of the spoons remind me of Jansnetcraft.

Might want to check them out also.