The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday approved geneti

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday approved geneti

Post by Crawfish »

I can't imagine what the ultimate ramifications will be for our industry.

The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday approved genetically modified salmon, the first such altered animal allowed for human consumption in the United States.

The Obama administration had stalled in approving the fast-growing salmon for more than five years amid consumer concerns about eating genetically modified foods. But the agency said Thursday the fish is safe to eat.

Here is a link. https://www.yahoo.com/food/genetically- ... 19254.html

Crawfish thinks it's .........One more nail in the coffin.
paul
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday approved ge

Post by paul »

Some good news is that Rubio's is switching from farmed to Alaskan coho.
Drew

Post by Drew »

You say the Obama administration stalled the approval of the GMO salmon, but it was Obama who appointed a former Monsanto VP to the head of the FDA. Both sides are only loyal to the highest bidder.

This could be a catalyst in the GMO labeling effort at the state level though.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

From what little I understand. GMO labeling has already been undermined from the Fed level. No GMO tag required. On a state level .... WA state tried to pass an initiative to label products accordingly. Monsanto and other big players killed the bill with lot's of pro GMO PR work.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I am not worried. Might be "safe" to eat. But taste as good as wild salmon? Not.

Here is what should scare us: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/new ... r-20061214

I have stopped eating pork.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

I stopped reading Rolling Stone when they glamorized the one Boston bomber by putting his picture on their cover, just like a rock star. Now any psycho that wants to get famous but has no guitar talent knows how he can do it.

Rolling Stone is despicable.

They are not my source of info on anything.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Enough people care about what they eat, that I don't think it will have that big of an impact IF we get mislabeling under control. Some of these fish will be passed off as wild, Alaskan fish. People want to buy wild, organic fish. People buy the mislabeled fish, eat it, and aren't impressed. We lose a customer. In my opinion, mislabeling (which is just fraud and theft) is what we have to go after. We must lobby for very strict fines for those caught mislabeling. We need to lobby for a task force to take this issue up and enforce it as fraud.

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/20 ... islabeled/
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

There are other stories on industrial pork production. What are you saying? You think the information is bogus because you don't like the source?
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

It's probably more of a threat to existing farm salmon operations than high end west coast trollers. Seems like they're geared up to producing 100 tons a year in Panama, so they've a ways to go before putting a dent in the 230,000 tons annual of farmed Atlantics
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Salty, we're getting way off topic here. But you are correct that my opinion is that Rolling Stone is not a credible news source.

As if glamorizing a terrorist isn't enough, there was also the falsified article on a college campus rape they were forced to retract in the last year or so.

http://www.commdiginews.com/news-2/fake ... men-31082/

So, no, I don't like the source, and I don't trust their reporting. I am disappointed in myself for clicking on their story and starting to read it. But doing so caused me to see it was written in the style of a smear piece. If I am going to research the pork industry, I will pick a more credible source.

I think you and I are in full agreement that the lives our wild salmon lead are much better than the lives lived by pigs in a hog confinement. But having been part of a couple industries (including commercial fishing) that have been the subject of smear pieces from time to time, my BS detector goes off fairly early in that type of article.

OK, enough on that subject from me.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Thanks, well-reasoned response O & F. Back to the topic. Here are a couple of interesting articles:
https://www.facebook.com/BeyondGM/photo ... 89/?type=3
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Well, only was able to post one. Here is the other: An excerpt.

From the Huffington Post, 7/23/2015
Michael McAuliff covers Congress and politics for The Huffington Post.

Do you want to know whether your food has genetically modified organisms in it? The House of Representatives voted to make that harder on Thursday by banning states from passing their own laws requiring GMO labels.
Instead, the House passed a bill called the Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act that would set up a voluntary program for companies that want to disclose genetically modified ingredients. Firms that want to claim their food is GMO-free would have to submit to a certification process overseen by the Department of Agriculture.
But the measure would ban states such as Vermont, Maine and Connecticut, which have passed GMO-labeling laws, from putting them into practice. It would also allow the Food and Drug Administration to define the label “natural” to include genetically engineered material.
"The fact is, the scientific consensus on the safety of genetically engineered products is utterly overwhelming. Precisely zero pieces of credible evidence have been presented that foods produced with biotechnology pose any risk to our health and safety,” said Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-Kan.), the bill’s sponsor.
“Given this fact, it is not the place of government, government at any level, to arbitrarily step in and mandate that one plant product should be labeled based solely on how it was bred, while another identical product is free of government warning labels because the producer chose a different breeding technology,” he said.
Pompeo added that efforts to label products' GMO content were a “naked attempt to impose the preferences of a small segment of the populace on the rest of us and make the constituents that I serve in Kansas pay more for their food.” ….

Democratic opponents pointed to surveys, including a recent poll by the Mellman Group, that found 90 percent of the country does want to know what's in the food.
“What this legislation is suggesting is that regardless of what consumers want, they won’t be told,” said Rep. Peter Welch (D-Vt.). “This is not about a small group of activists. This is states like Vermont, like Maine and like Connecticut, with massive bipartisan votes, Republicans and Democrats, saying that they wanted to have the right to have these products labeled.”