Trolling Wire Testing Video

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
lcharge
Spammer?: No

Trolling Wire Testing Video

Post by lcharge »

I hope this video helps to explain better what I was trying to get across on the 'Trolling Wire Testing' topic. Cheers Al :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1g802avDZg
If you catch a fish that has my name on it .... please let it go.
http://www.lurecharge.com
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Trolling Wire Testing Video

Post by Once and Future »

Icharge: I watched your video twice. I have some questions, if you care to discuss you can private message me. In summary, you are confident in your theories and I am confident in mine, so we probably have to agree to disagree. I don't think we'll have many followers if we try to hash it all out here.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Watched the video. As O&F points out, we can agree to disagree. I wish to point out that, if you're going to conduct an instruction video, all elements need to be as accurately represented as possible. Using fresh water instead of water representing at least typical sea salinity conditions, quantities of metal that are several fold greater than the typical boat might have, no consideration for the Cu in the bottom paint, and making conclusions that, given the previous errors, are not completely substantiated is not helpful to understanding a difficult subject; particularly when someone is trying to improve their vessel's catch rate so they can pay the bills.
lcharge

Post by lcharge »

Thanks for the feedback. We all agree that it is not a simple subject to 'wrap your head around'. If I had a troller to work with, the video would have been done on board. Please don't look at the meter readings as fully representative of what you will see on your boat. I only used fresh water to protect my camera and meter from the salt, with so much handling. The numbers will all be proportionate to, except larger with salt water. I'm not saying that the system does not work as we have come to know it. My tests just indicate that the 'natural' voltage comes from the hull and bonding system as opposed to the trolling wire. I think that was evident in the video where I was comparing 'the voltage that a fish sees'. The black box indicates wire voltage where the 'natural' voltage indicates that there was none coming from the wire. This was backed up with the 'residual voltage' test.
I do understand the concept of paying bills. My first troller wouldn't catch sockeye off of the Fraser River the first year I had it. It did after that.
I would still like an owner of a troller to do my test away from the docks and boats. It is a very simple test that only requires a digital meter and a short piece of trolling wire. I posted the instructions on my last topic but can give them again to anyone interested. Send me a PM if you like.
If you catch a fish that has my name on it .... please let it go.
http://www.lurecharge.com