NS or Stainless wire snaps

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

NS or Stainless wire snaps

Post by mattakfish »

Ordering a new bag of snaps. Trying to decide whether to go Nickle Silver or Stainless. Stainless is cheaper but I've been told NS is easier on the wire because its softer......I have an assortment of both now....not sure which I like better. Anyone prefer one over the other? Also wondering ....does Nickle Silver affect voltage since it's different metal than the wire? Anyone ever notice any difference in catches on spreads with NS versus SS snaps to wire?
Matt on the F/V Aurora
JKD

Re: NS or Stainless wire snaps

Post by JKD »

I haven't noticed any changes in catching with different metal snaps but then I also haven't kept any sort of log on the subject. I acquired a mixture of snaps (including SS) when I was setting-up my last boat to troll back in the 90s. As I recall, I changed most of the SS out over a few seasons simply because the other [nickle silver?] snaps were a little easier to open and get off the wire. On my present troller I am using "regular" Canadian-design [nickle silver?] snaps with the exception of a Kolstrand-style SS snap on my second-to-the-last spread - so I know I have a cannonball coming alongside with the next snap.

I have to assume that any of the available snaps would have an effect on line voltage, but I can't tell you anything definite there, either. I will leave that discussion to the more knowledgeable contributors on this forum.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

I had a conversation with an acquaintance several years ago where he observed his line voltage drop when he put a certain AK on his wire. He didn't pay attention to what kind of snap it was, he just threw it away. That conversation lead me to pay more attention to the assortment of SS and "standard" snaps I have in inventory. I have nothing conclusive, but what I have casually observed is mixing metals "SEEMS" to kill, or at least retard, the wire. I retired the SS snaps as of 2014.

With that said, I am now wondering about the older snaps made in North America vs the Chinese made stuff. I know there is differences in the terminal tackle (swivels, snaps, rings) made in China vs the US. It would make sense there are differences in the snaps. The big question is "if it does make a difference, how much?" I, for one, am not going to spend a season trying to figure it out. I'll stay with the stuff I know will work.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mattakfish »

So based on the mixing metals theory, it would be better for the wire to use stainless snaps, if using stainless wire, I guess. I wonder which king salmon prefer. ;)
Matt on the F/V Aurora
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Yes, if you followed the thought that everything should be the same to prevent galvanic activity between dis-similar metals, then SS snaps and SS wire with SS stops is the way to go. I'm not going to do it. What I've found is consistency is more important, which means using all nickel silver (NiAg) snaps is more important than mixing SS with NiAg

One maintenance thing you can do is wire brush the salts off the snaps. a good way to start the process is soak them in vinegar for 8 hours or so. Getting them nice and bright again seems to work a little better.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I use Canadian Jensen snaps. In my limited experience, 60 years running gear, the most important consideration in snaps for you and your crew is ergonomics. The softer the squeeze, the less throw the better. And you want them all the same. 60 years myself, 33 years for my wife, 30 years for sons. Not a case of tunnel carpal yet. Year round trolling many years for me. Production, high volume, round chum and pink trolling many years.
But, we are big men with thick wrists. My wife is strong too.