Helm chair

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Helm chair

Post by yak2you2 »

Hello all, been off for a while. I'm back! I've bought a larger boat and power troll permit, and sold my hand troll, and Mai Tai.
Little by little, I'm getting the boat dialed in to suit me. The helm chair she came with is need of replacement. What I'd really like to do is hold out until my butt can do the picking, but there always seems to be things you don't find out until you've owned it for a while. Anybody have any hot tips on a good one, I'd like to hear it, and what your reasons are. Price range for me is 200-300 bucks. I know you get what you pay for, but I can't see spending more than that for something on a working boat. Thoughts?
Sasquatch
Spammer?: No

Re: Helm chair

Post by Sasquatch »

old office chair. cheap and comfortable, easy to replace
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

my boat came with a truckers seat and I have to say that it is big and comfy, I have found 2 deckhands dozing ...and I'll never forget the skipper from Thorne Bay telling me he came close to running onto rocks because he fell asleep, he tossed out the seat....standing only
steffco

Post by steffco »

Padded swivel bar stool set up to anchor to the deck for rough weather.
They don't take up a lot of room and If you fall asleep you fall off.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

I built mine.
I needed a place for gear storing so I made a little bench I could sit on with 2 convenient pull out drawers. I called Nomar (the fish bag company) and had them make a custom cushion to fit my dimensions on top of the bench seat.
They gave me a choice on foam thickness and choice of covering. I chose a moroon vinyl with 4" foam. They put velcro on the bottom of the cushion so it comes off if needed for washing etc. I couldn't be happier with my choice.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

That sounds good carolae.got any pictures?i need to replace my computer chair mounted to an aluiminum plate on top of a aluimiumn pedistal it work well for a number of seasons but needs replacement.its a chair that coat a fraction of a Helm chair.if you'd be kind enought to send a picture thanks
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

I bought a leather bar style stool from Fred Meyers for $70. Seams sturdy, heat resistant since it's near the stove. Easy to clean. Comfortable, but you're not going to fall asleep in it without falling out. And it's slim and small enough it's not in the way. I'm in the process of extending my dash and installing a cabinet with another seat on top of it for additional storage on the other side and will probably go the same route.