2 simple issues - not so simple!

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Brother Dave
Spammer?: No

2 simple issues - not so simple!

Post by Brother Dave »

I'm stumped on a couple things and thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts to offer.

1)90% of our fish are coming in on stbd heavy. This is with all lines running the same gear. I mean that single line probably gets close to 9 out of every 10 fish coming in. In my experience it's not unusual for one line to do better than the others in general, though some days it might be one particular line and some days another, but this seems odd.
2)We've been losing about half the fish hooked on herring, maybe a little more. I can see there is lots of room to play with rigging techniques and hook types, but in general is it common to lose more fish off herring rigs?

Thanks for any input!
Dave
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: 2 simple issues - not so simple!

Post by yak2you2 »

First, the mains are going to be the first to encounter the fish. Being new to power trolling myself, I've asked around, and it seems fairly common that the mains will easily outfish the bags. Having hand trolled for 20 years before the move, I can tell you that for whatever reason, it is quite common for one side to outfish the other. I have usually attributed it to having a preferred side. Meaning, if your always going around the reef the same way, the side facing the reef is the side they're getting a look at. Or, if your going down the line the same way, same idea. Doesn't always work out like that though. Many guys will also tell you that they experience this. If it's persistent, might pay to check the line voltage on all wires and compare the difference? Possible the poor side is grounding out somewhere?
The herring I CAN help with. whether your threading, or using EZ baiters, you need to get the hook further back. Most guys tend to lose more fish on herring than hoochies, but if it's what they want, you have to serve it. Personally, I prefer EZ baiters. If your using them, always always heat them up before you rig them, and open them up a little bit. Not to much, or the herring will fall out. Factory will pinch down to hard, and cause the herring to spin. This cuts down on strikes, and makes it harder for them to hit it right. If your losing that high of a percentage, I'd bet money the hook isn't getting back into meat, and your getting them on the lip. With red, or green herring, adding a swivel between the baiter and a #7 should do the trick. If not, grab a handful of tiny stir straws form the local watering hole, and cut a desired length. Thread this section between the hook and baiter to lengthen the rig out. You want it so they can't tail nip without getting caught. They ARE that good, i've pulled in many herring with the last inch of tail missing. If your threading, same deal, make sure the hook is way back there, or consider running a trailer. Good luck!
Brother Dave

Post by Brother Dave »

Thanks yak. I think there must be a voltage issue to blame for the single line out-fishing the other main like it does. I forgot to mention someone else said to clean the gurdies and change out the breakaway straps. Good thoughts on the herring too...I like the straw idea!
JKD

Post by JKD »

BD - My heavies always out-fish my floatbags, but not usually to the extent you describe on your boat. Have you tried swapping the lead off the lucky wire to another wire to see if the luck changes? I have this happen once in awhile and have discovered that some leads just fish better than others. As a rule we are seeing an increase in crappy quality "lead" cannonballs due to contamination (zinc) from wheel weights and other metals mixed-in with the lead in the melting pot. Commercial lead smelters are becoming a thing of the past in our country and the import sources we are stuck with leave a lot to be desired. Checking the line voltage in all of the wires is a very good idea, and keeping a log of voltage on each line will help narrow-down your problem. Good luck with your investigation.

I use easy-baiters and got the straw tip a few years back. It made a hell of a big difference. Most of my fish are hooked behind the jawbone or in the snout. I also work on the points of my hooks to make them needle-sharp. (An added benefit of the straw is less tooth wear and tear on the monofilament ahead of the hook.)
Brother Dave

Post by Brother Dave »

Honestly I didn't even think about the lead but that is a great idea for something to check. Logging the line voltage for each is something I haven't done yet but I think I agree it needs to be done...

Something is different on that corner and I really want to know what.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Good point brought up about lead quality. I borrowed some molds and melted down some factory 25 and 30 lb. Balls this spring to make bigger. There was a lot of non lead crap that floated to the surface, which I skimmed off. If this is going to be an on going concern, we may all have to think about making our own. Was actually very easy to do.
One more thought on herring. There will be those who disagree,
But my personal experience is such that I will not ever again drag a treble hook. I lost one to many because of them. All QI straight points for me. Gets the hook way back into meat, they're in trouble after that.
Brother Dave

Post by Brother Dave »

When I asked a few guys about my troubles losing fish off herring, the treble hook debate seemed pretty intense!
lcharge

Post by lcharge »

Bait rigs and a voltage field! Check the video clip with these bait holders. I use Qi hooks as well. Bulk commercial prices optional.
http://www.lurecharge.com/#!product/prd ... it-rigs-x2
If you catch a fish that has my name on it .... please let it go.
http://www.lurecharge.com
Brother Dave

Post by Brother Dave »

Your rigs look ok to me but the leaders are light. What is the difference between UV and Glo?
lcharge

Post by lcharge »

The rigs do have a deadly action. UV means that it will glow under a black light but more importantly it is ultra violet which, according to the experts, fish can see in low light. These ones turn violet to us as soon as they hit the water. Glow is different that it actually creates it's own light through a phosphorous like reaction. The glows are strong as I see them still working great in the middle of the night. This stuff is all made up for sporties. As a 4th generation commercial fisherman, I know that you guys would want to use your own line and probably larger hooks. These are Qi 5/0 siwash. I have some 6/0 coming which may be more desirable. The voltage is generated with my anode alloy contacting a stainless swivel which is connected to a stainless or nickel hook. The voltage remains constant until they corrode off. Same basic idea as your boat, except my metals are matched to give off mainly between .6 and .7 volts right off the hook. My swivels are in 2 sizes 100lb (#1) and 125lb (1/0). The Jughead is drilled in 2 positions and uses 2 toothpicks at a time. This keeps it nice and tight as the wiggle action might be too much for a single one.
I just got together with Jughead to do some joint test marketing. My lures til now have been 'voltage tuned' spoons and hoochies.
If you catch a fish that has my name on it .... please let it go.
http://www.lurecharge.com