SE Alaska Salmon

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Big Chinook
Spammer?: No

SE Alaska Salmon

Post by Big Chinook »

Anyone have any thoughts on Coho, Chinook and Chum for 2017. I know Coho numbers were big 3-4 years ago which could bod well for 2017. Just interested to hear other imput for trollers in SE.
paul
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: SE Alaska Salmon

Post by paul »

There is an announcement out today about the spring king salmon openings being very limited.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

A lot of what ifs ? You probably have heard bout kings. I'm being a optimist but with all the out migrant coho last summer into winter kings it looks good.Have never encountered that many out of the stream coho.They only have to have good survival.With a larger pink run for SE projected things could be looking up as large pink runs seem to coincide with better coho but then they seen to be smaller.Hope Hope
Big Chinook

Post by Big Chinook »

I'm thinking we will get 4-5 days in the summer chinook season with some rolling over from winter season hopefully. The Columbia River forecast is now at its ten year average, 575,000 projected to return. In talking to a couple of the biologists in Alaska they thought the coho numbers would be at least at last years numbers and maybe better. There have been two years of good feed in the ocean for the little guys and the ocean has had two great years of upwelling and rolling over which are keys to the food chain. Keep your fingers crossed!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

4-5 days total summer Chinook season sounds about right in July days. But, we take 70% in July and 30% in August. I am thinking 3 days in July and 3-5 in August based on no solid information other than SE runs being down, hatchery runs in SE down, a dismal winter troll catch in SE, and a feeling that Canadian and South 48 interests are going to go very conservative given the seemingly declining Chinook abundance in Eastern Pacific.