Commercial Salmon Trolling Forum

Wanted: hand gurdies

Buy or sell fishing gear, engines, hydraulics, gurdies, parts, or anything else related to commercial fishing vessels.

Wanted: hand gurdies

Postby htrookie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:59 am

I'm looking for some better hand cranks than the nylon kolstrands I've been using. Will be glad to pay cash for a new set. 907-789-5762 and ask for Ed.
htrookie

Re: Wanted: hand gurdies

Postby ericv » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:16 pm

One option may be to locate a power troll gurdy, either a 2 or 3 spool type. In my previous years as a handtroller I wore out several plastic Kolstrands not to mention my elbows and shoulders. The price was right for them but you paid dearly with 30+ lb leads and fish on the spreads. I picked up an older brass 2 spool gurdy for a song and had a fabricator weld a long stainless crank for it. I center mounted them just forward of the pit, checkers on each side. Though the long handle was a slower crank, it provided great mechanical leverage. I could work them all day with 30 and 40 lb leads along with the fish fighting on the spreads. I have also seen where people have taken a power gurdy and had it split into 2 single spool gurdies to be set on the port and starboard side as well. In my opinion the power gurdies are a reasonable option. They are hell for stout, fairly easy to find and not too outrageously priced. With normal maintenance they will out last any joint in the body. I have seen nice handtroll gurdies that are not plastic and have both a 1:1 ratio or 2:1 ratio option on them, can't remember the brand name. Real nice but the price was sky high. Good luck, it pays to get set up properly on those handtroll gurdies, both in body parts and production.
ericv
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Fishing Gear & Parts