Commercial Salmon Trolling Forum

WTB Deck Beam

Buy or sell fishing gear, engines, hydraulics, gurdies, parts, or anything else related to commercial fishing vessels.

WTB Deck Beam

Postby Kelper » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:26 am

Looking to replace a deck beam. Looking for a suitable piece of lumber that is at least 75" long, 4.25" high, and 2.75 inches thick.

I'm new to wood boats, so I'm open to any education as to what kind of wood I should be looking for.

Thanks!

Joel
F/V Glory
joelst99@yahoo.com
Kelper

Re: WTB Deck Beam

Postby Sinnazat04 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:45 pm

Douglas fir is what was used for decks on a lot of the older boats, though I worked on a 1930's era troller planked with red cedar, and had cedar on the decks I don't think you want to use red cedar for your deck though. You could use yellow cedar and should be able to get that on P.O.W, Though make sure it has been air dried, you don't want to try a repair with green wood. Make sure you put in a caulking bevel and re cork it after. I am sure many more people here can provide you a lot more detail. Most decks I had hot pitch to fill the seam. I can tell you that if you heat up pitch on your propane crab cooker on the float next to your boat make sure you put it in another larger cook pot. Getting yelled at by all the people tied up next to you for blowing the bottom off a five gallon pitch can isn't as funny in the moment as it is 20 years later
Sinnazat04

Postby lone eagle » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:51 pm

I'm about to add pitch to my deck seams and was advised to use a pot on an electric hotplate with temp control. I was told 275 degrees was the sweet spot.
Kelper needs a deck beam( Don't use kiln dried)
lone eagle

Postby Sinnazat04 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:49 am

Maybe it is, if it is to hot it splutters and is hard to control, if to cool it won't poor right. When I have done it we used some type of container with a spout and also used a metal hanger straightened out to keep cleaning the spout sol pitch doesn't cool down and start to clog the spout.
Sinnazat04

Return to Fishing Gear & Parts