Trolling (Hook and Line) Mascot

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
afteryou
Spammer?: No

Trolling (Hook and Line) Mascot

Post by afteryou »

The promotion thread got me thinking. I like the idea of a mascot to assist in the marketing of Alaskan troll caught (hook and line or whatever) salmon

I’m thinking something like a king salmon done up like Mr. Peanut only with a crown instead of a top hat and maybe a gaff instead of a cane.

What do you guys think? What would be the perfect mascot? I think like Mickey Mouse and Disney we could have a lot to gain with the use of cartoon character. So lets hear some ideas!
afteryou

Re: Trolling (Hook and Line) Mascot

Post by afteryou »

Hey, I just had a thought we could name it after Salty. Salty Salmon, what do you guys think? :o :shock: :lol:
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Mickey Mouse is a good mascot, but notice he isn't shaped like a fish. He's got a head and ears that the artist accented, plus the big shoes for balance. You do that with a fish, and it won't look much like a fish anymore.

And, the gaff is probably a little too graphic for your average grocery shopper.

I am a typical critic. I can find fault with your creations, but I can't create a better one of my own. We could still use a troll, though. Just would have to be a different trademark than what the Norwegian farmers were using.

A lot of fishermen look kinda like Elmer Fudd, don't they?
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, you know what might be good? A stylized little boat. Kind of like the tug boats in children's books. It would subtly get the message across that this fish comes from a small boat fleet.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

IMG_4689.JPG
IMG_4689.JPG (109.54 KiB) Viewed 39536 times
Fuddish fisherman?
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Mascot - One of the best ideas yet. I like the Salty Salmon, particularly from the standpoint that it tells a harvest location story, implies attitude (folks like attitude), and implies freshness without saying it. I even like it from the standpoint that it gives a gladiator some recognition. I like the small boat idea as well, but at the moment get more out of Salty Salmon. Perhaps a combination? I have a good friend that has produced some awesome fish logo's & T-shirts. Send me a PM if you want me to pursue it.

Something to think about: If it's purely an Alaskan mascot, 3 other states worth of trollers may have mascot envy, perhaps create and promote separate logos and dillute the message rather than strengthen it. If you develop a mascot that represents the core harvest & handling methods, you leverage your southern sister's and brother's opportunity in the form of contact with millions of people to promote your product, as well as their own.

Fantastic pic Salty :D

Thanks,

Lane
akfisher1978

Post by akfisher1978 »

Remember Charlie the Tuna has worked for over 50 years! Troll caught Salmon are already bought by Markets, Fine Restaurants, and the few people who can afford to pay 18 dollars per lb for King Salmon. Most restaurants make more money with farm raised and your average person fro Texas, or Florida wont know the difference anyway! Think of it this way if you owned a restaurant in Chicago and could import Dorado from Panama for 4 dollars a pound or purchase more expensive Coho what are you going to do? You dont have economic interest in Alaska so you are going to make more money and buy that Dorado or buy farm raised! If trollers really want to better things here they need to start fighting against Farm Raised and Frankenfish!
squareface

Post by squareface »

Hey, if somebody down in Ketchikan bumps into Ray "Troll", plant the seed and see what he comes up with, I'm sure it will get a few people's attention. His tee shirts are awesome!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Now there is an idea, get a guy named Troll to help figure out a logo for troll salmon.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If we put one of those old white troller caps on Elmer Fudd, and gave him a codpiece, would it be obvious he was a fisherman? :D

(Answer: Only if it was obvious the codpiece was a fake!)
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may have killed off the discussion by getting a little too jokey. Actually, Ray Troll has a design that could have worked as a logo, but I don't presume we could afford the rights to it. It is called "Fisherman's Dream" and depicts a man hanging on to the back of an oversized salmon.

I myself could not draw a logo unless we wanted a stick man. I forgot about the Charlie Tuna logo which of course was used successfully.

Anyway, an artist who could create a logo would have an opinion on what the character should be. I wouldn't want to waste someone's time with a misunderstanding about creating a logo for us for a huge some of money, which we haven't got. But if anyone knows an artistic person who understands we're not stingy, just broke, they could have a discussion with them.

I suppose the classic solution is to run some sort of amateur contest, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.
akfisher1978

Post by akfisher1978 »

If you are serious about a Logo it is very simple, I did this for my Sportfishing business in Costa Rica years ago. You contact the Ringling School of Art in Florida and they will find students to make a great logo! Problem is how do you get people to label packages "troll" caught
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Cross Sound Marketing did a logo a few years ago. I can't remember who did it, but it was pretty neat.

I just looked at the SPC pages and they emphasize troll caught, their MSC label, and the Monterey Aquarium approval.
akfisher1978

Post by akfisher1978 »

"Alaska Troll Caught" website for the FV Helen T had a logo that was kind of cool. Dont know if the web page is still up since he sold the boat! Probably designed by a local artist here in Juneau. Remember that your consumers are not looking at SPC or any other Cold Storage website. They are looking through the glass case at a Market. I dont know how much Troll Caught fish is actually frozen and Packaged though I could be wrong. I would think most of that fish comes from net fisheries.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as how do we get people to want to label the fish as "hook and line" or "troll caught" - Lane touched on that. He pointed out no one would now sell Copper River product without labeling it so. We are talking about a superior product, and why wouldn't the seller want the customer to appreciate that?

There is a valid point that most of our fish probably goes restaurant trade, but I don't even know. And what about chum - won't some of that be going to groceries? I was thinking the logo would be placed on the package at the processor level. This would be reassuring to even the restaurateurs. But, we have to talk to the processors and see if they are willing to incorporate our logo into their logo, or pay someone to slap on stickers (which might freeze off). If the processors don't think this is a good idea, I would listen to them.

The college graphics department is a good idea. Do you make a modest donation to their program then? How did you pick Florida? Are there graphics schools on the Pacific coast that would be somewhat familiar with what the boats and fish look like?
akfisher1978

Post by akfisher1978 »

I was born is Sarasota where the Ringling school of art is. I contacted them and they suggested putting a advertisment (free) on their pin up boards. Within a week I had like 25 people contact me and over a dozen scrthes done. I am sure that we could put a post on Craigs List here in Alaska and be swamped with young artist who would love to show off their skills!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

The last group I helped organize needed a logo and we asked our membership if they had any ideas. One of our members came through with a variety of suggestions and here is what they ended up with. My point being that someone reading this might have the skills to put a logo together.
Chum Trollers logo.jpg
Chum Trollers logo.jpg (15.17 KiB) Viewed 39321 times
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I was just looking at some of the ideas that didn't get adopted. Pretty darn creative. I am not going to post them as they were not selected, belong to the group, not me, and this one is out in the wind. The process includes deciding exactly what you want to communicate in your logo.
akfisher1978

Post by akfisher1978 »

Just a thought but anyone ever think that Hook and Line, or Sustainable Salmon, Hand Caught or something along those lines? You can bet that a Mini-Van Mom from Boise, ID has no idea what "Troll Caught" is and can easily get confused with "Trawl Caught". You certainly couldnt explain VIA sticker what Troll Caught is but the other ideas might make more sense to someone down south.
salmon4u

Post by salmon4u »

we need to do a youtube video that goes viral.. gangnam style.. dancing salmon, trolls ...Salty salmon...Ray Troll... love it : )