Abundance - Garrett Hagen is gone

A place for users to chat about non-fishing topics. No political or religious posts are allowed.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Abundance - Garrett Hagen is gone

Post by Abundance »

This is the last post that this Member will post because my brother Garrett is dead.
he has bin missing for a week now and hope is thin.
http://www.abc12.com/story/23505258/sea ... nion-found
the article doesn't say is later that Abundance sank after his friend was rescued from the shore, the Wilderness Adventure ship made a mistake when they put a new battery in to start her, causing a electrical fire that ultimately sank her.
so they are both gone.

Sincerely his brother Eli Hagen
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
akfish

Re: Abundance - Garrett Hagen is gone

Post by akfish »

Eli I cant say how sorry I am for you and your family! I had no idea Garrett was so young he seemed so full of great advice and awesome stories on this forum. A terrible loss to his family, Craig, Alaska, and of course his brother and sister fisherman.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Oh no. I am so sorry. I had assumed the rumor of the Abundance sinking could not be true - it's just inconceivable. But of course if Garrett is really gone, that loss is so much greater.

Ach, enough words for now. May you and yours be blessed with strength.
Bdub

Post by Bdub »

Sorry to hear of your loss Eli, and that of your families loss. I didn't know your brother, but I have friends that did, and they shared with me a very high opinion of Garret. It's obvious he was a friend of many.

Thank you for sharing the details here. I apologize for not seeing this post before I posted above.
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Eli, I had not seen this. Thank you so much for letting us know and so sorry for all. Please tell your family how much we respect Garrett and how much we will miss him.

Lane
mb4570

Post by mb4570 »

I don't believe Garrett ever met a stranger,one of the friendliest people I ever met , very helpful with good advice. He once told me he had no secrets about trolling and would answer my dumb questions with a smile. :(
F/V MoonSpirit
MoonSpirit
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/Gran ... 31702.html
They called off the search, no body was found.
but I think he would have liked a burial at sea.
and Abundance sinking is for the best, we could not handle seeing her again.
the bear that he shot was a massive black-brown bear, it had a black body and a light brown head. Adrian said that Garrett was so happy.
the pelt is also gone.
akfish

Post by akfish »

One again very sorry Eli he will be missed so much on this forum as well as on the drags. He sent me many private messages about prawn fishing and ideas to help me in my first year trolling. He obviously loved this lifestyle so much as you can see from all the awesome pictures and all the great stories he posted here! I had heard that the abundance fire was put out but I understand not wanting to see her again. I was looking at the pictures of it today he had a lot of pride in it and well deserved. Make sure your parents know how many of us out there have been thinking of him. I was looking for updates hourly on my phone. Someday you should read all his posts here what an awesome young man.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Well put, AKfish. I just met Garrett in person this year twice, briefly.

This spring, I had forwarded Garrett's pictures of the Abundance to my kids because I was so impressed with how beautiful it was.

I loved seeing the Abundance at sea, especially knowing Garrett was at the helm...
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

I just wanted to post our flier that we made
Scan0006.jpg
p.s. a good sameratin found a body drifting in Behm, we are waiting on a ID, but who else would it be.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

The troopers were just hir and its positive, Garrett gone.
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

Thank you so much for keeping us informed and for posting the flier. That was extremely thoughtful for those who kept in contact with him through the forum. Give our best to your family from those of us who can't be there and please let them know that he left a fantastic impression on so many commercial fishers he came in contact with. He is greatly missed.

Thanks again,

Lane
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

So sorry Eli. Please accept our condolences to you and your family. Wish we could change things....

Jim
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

I would like to wish my sincerest condolences to Garrett's family and friends. I've never met him in person, but spent enough time talking with him on here that consider him a friend myself. No greater tragedy than loosing a young fisherman, take care everyone.