Duranickle hooks

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Duranickle hooks

Post by Trnaround »

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Duranickle hooks. I have no experience with them and was wondering the pros and cons of use. I use primarily stainless hooks but recently was given a bunch of Duranickle hooks and was wondering how they work. Thanks.
JKD

Re: Duranickle hooks

Post by JKD »

I used to use Duranickle siwash hooks when I started trolling back in the mid-1960s - and I liked them. They are somewhat "softer" than the current stainless hooks on the market. I found them to be good for both spoons and plugs, but I wouldn't hesitate to use them for hoochies or bait. I deliberately used them for my lead (bottom) spoons so that I could force the hook to bend open to release BIG halibut. I found them to be easy to sharpen. If I could find a supplier, I would still have some on my boat. Most of the ones I have come across in the last few years have come from estate or garage sales.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Thanks JKD I have 7/0,8/0, 9/0 and 11/0 sizes. I'll try the 9/0 on the 7'' plugs, that's what I use in SS and see how it goes. The hook shape is interesting, almost a circle hook shape. It looks like it would hold on well. If you put them on spoons do they tarnish the spoons or rust at all? I usually drop my spoons in diluted Hydrotone with an aluminum can crushed up to keep them bright. Maybe a 7/0 on a #6.5 or #7 spoon? I don't know what the 11/0 was used for..massive.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I think I have three boxes of the 11/0 Duranicle hooks surplus to my needs. They work well on the 7/0 superior and 6/0 or 7/0 Tomic Plugs. Yes, you do need an iron or aluminum jump ring when using with brite spoons or they will tarnish them. They are a softer metal, will bend out easier, and sharpen up well. Let me know if any of you readers want some. Send a PM
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Thanks that's very helpful, I'll give them a try. JKD if you pm me let me know what size you want and where to send them I'll send you a box.
JKD

Post by JKD »

Trnaround - I'm packing to head south to the Expo in Seattle this week but I will send you a PM when I get back to Juneau early next week. Thanks.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

At fish expo too
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

The good thing about duranickle hooks is you can remove them from one spoon and put them back on another spoon (if you got a new pack of spoons for example). They wouldn't break after bending the eye. Wish they still produced these hooks.

Hooks. I remember the first box of treble hooks I ever bought was a box of "stainless steel" #2's from Nordby supply in Seattle back in the early 1970's. Wish I could get those again.
Oh, and what about the recently discontinued "barker" mustads...............damn. I'm babbling....
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Salty wrote:I think I have three boxes of the 11/0 Duranicle hooks surplus to my needs. They work well on the 7/0 superior and 6/0 or 7/0 Tomic Plugs. Yes, you do need an iron or aluminum jump ring when using with brite spoons or they will tarnish them. They are a softer metal, will bend out easier, and sharpen up well. Let me know if any of you readers want some. Send a PM

For some reason I cannot send a PM, however, I would like to purchase some of the 11/0 Duranickle hooks. So perhaps you could send a PM to me with details.

Thanks!
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

That's amazing that you can open them up and use them again. I have had problems with Mustad 95170 hooks breaking right out of the box. Some were not good. After crimping them on I would test them by with some side ways pressure and some of them would break. I test them all now but before I figured that out I was losing some big fish. I like the way the 95170 holds on with Kings. Don't think it makes a difference with Coho and I don't know why but it seems like less Kings get off with that hook if you don't have a bad hook.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

John R,
I sent you a pm. Let me know if you get it.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Salty wrote:John R,
I sent you a pm. Let me know if you get it.

Got it.
JKD

Post by JKD »

Trnaround - PM sent.