Headed to Alaska for Winter Fishing

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Jacob12c
Spammer?: No

Headed to Alaska for Winter Fishing

Post by Jacob12c »

Hey, just checking this site out. My brother is on his way to Alaska ( Sitka) to start his mid life Crisis. Just purchased a 42' troller in Canada and is hoping for some success late in the season. He's been a Pollack fisherman his whole life and decided to go it alone for a while. Not sure what he's getting into but by reading this blog site it seems that yall are bound by the same goal catch fish and help each other out. Very Fraternal. I've been following Salty's blogs and seems to be a wise man willing to help a newby out as well as others. He should be in Sitka by the 20th and will be running the vessel " Alexi Sea". Watch out for him if ya'll would and give him a few pointers on the dock... Good guy and hard worker from Anacortes Wa.

Thanks from a caring Brother!
Jon

Re: Winter Fishing

Post by Jon »

Wow. Interesting time of year to be getting started and/or traveling to Alaska. In order to travel and fish in the Alaskan winter I hope he has:

*) Lots of experience running a boat.
*) Spent a lot of time going over the boat he bought.
*) Someone experienced to travel with him. Seriously he's going up alone?

I hate to say it, but, either he's hardcore or very stupid.
Jacob12c

Re: Headed to Alaska for Winter Fishing

Post by Jacob12c »

Jon you are right sometimes I wonder about him "BUT" as far as his experience he's made that trip many a time. I used to work for him when he captained one of the "A" boats out of anacortes in the Bering Sea and Kodiak crabbing and Dragging. He's 54 yrs old and just ready to make a change ( hence midlife). He's late getting out of town due to getting the boat ready the last couple of months and yes he's alone... thought about getting him a Dog..lol. Are you in Sitka Jon? I'd call him a hard core knuckle head... but a good guy. I looked at his gear and reading through the forums I think there might be a slight disconnect on what catches fish and what doesn't...haha. He'll learn .. I hope.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Ah, whew! Thats good. I thought perhaps he was getting started from scratch. Sounds like he'll be fine :)

Cheers,
Jon
fvsedna

Post by fvsedna »

Jacob
we know the vessel name........what Is the skipper's name?
Andrew
Jacob12c

Post by Jacob12c »

His name is Steve Carr...
Jacob12c

Post by Jacob12c »

Thanks for the reply Andrew!
Jacob12c

Post by Jacob12c »

Unfortunately I just heard some bad news... The Alexi Sea didn't make it past Queen Charlotte Sound... Started taking on water and my brother had to abandon ship.. The boat went aground and was towed to Bella Bella (Shearwater). I don't have all the particullars. Still waiting to hear from my brother.
akfish

Post by akfish »

Wow sorry to hear about that. This time of year crossing Queen Charllotte Sound is not an easy task. Towed all the way to Bella Bella is a long ways so he must have made it a good ways across or would have been towed back to Pt. Hardy.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Sorry to hear that. Most "good deals" in the troll fleet involve a month or two of work to get them safe. That involves changing sea cocks and getting them up to regs, rewiring in new pumps that'll work when you need them, rewiring the boat, updating the ancient steering, and checking/changing a whole bunch of other stuff. I'm going through it right now. Not cheap.

Let it know the cause of taking on water. It'll be a learning experience for all of us.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Glad to hear your brother survived.
fvsedna

Post by fvsedna »

Jacob
Let your brother, Steve know we are happy he Is o.k.( I am assuming he Is o.k.). And his trip north Is just delayed a little.....
thanks for the update Jake, keep us posted..
Andrew
Jacob12c

Post by Jacob12c »

Thanks for the good words. At this time I have not spoken directly to him. His son has told us the weather was bad and he started taking on water through a seam in the boat? At some point a through hull fitting gave way as well.... not sure if this is hearsay or what exactly happened? and he could no longer keep up with the incoming water? He got the survival suit on and got into the life raft tethered to the boat and was picked up soon after the boat went aground. Any more then that I'd be making up with out hearing from him. He's fine and waiting for my nephew to pick him up tomorrow in Bella Bella. Should be back in Anacortes by weeks end and I'll post more then.

Thanks for all concerned!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Whoa, please let us know how things turn out.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Wow, this thread qualify's as a short story. Glad Steve is okay.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Jacobe12c Reading these posts reminded me of a trip I made up the inside and having a break down on the way, actually an air leak in the fuel line that finally got solved in Shearwater. The folks there were so helpful. They had a large shop and haul out there as I remember and had all of the necessary parts to get me fixed (replaced all the lines from the tanks to the Raycors). The air leak would take about a day of running before it would build up enough to stop the engine so every time you thought you found the problem it took a day to find out. It stopped for the third time just across Queen Charlotte sound. Anyway it was finally solved and I am forever grateful to the mechanics in Shearwater. I hope they are able to make the necessary repairs to Steve's boat, any more information you want to share about it?