Best rope for haul in lines

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Johnnyt707
Spammer?: No

Best rope for haul in lines

Post by Johnnyt707 »

Hi guys it's time to swap out the poly rope I have for myhaul in lines on my poles. What's the best way to go if like a three strand for ease of splicing ends on. Thanks for any advice
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Best rope for haul in lines

Post by carojae »

I use Poly-Dac. I think it's has been a standard (in the past anyway).
Attachments
aaaa.jpg
aaaa.jpg (17.62 KiB) Viewed 5717 times
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

what size polydac do you like?
JKD

Post by JKD »

Kelper - I just bought a spool of medium-lay 9/16" poly-dacron for replacing my haul-up lines on my poles and various other rigging needs. I also use this for stabie haul-in lines and will add another line from my main stabie rope-to-chain thimble to the bow to take some strain off the pole rigging.

I used to use a hard-lay version of this line in this diameter for top-shot sinking lines for commercial crab pot buoyline and found it surprizingly durable and strong.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

9/16" would be good.
I use two lines on each pole. On my 42' boat (39' aluminum poles) I use 5/8" on the main line which is mid way up the pole (supporting the stabie section). I have 1/2" up on the tip.

*the 5/8" line is double blocked to assist in making the pull-up easier.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Thanks guys. Very much appreciated. How many feet does it usually take you to redo your poles?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Kelper,
The last time I replaced all my haul up lines on poles, bow poles, stabies etc. I bought a spool of half inch poly-dac. I had some left over which was nice for fenders, brailer bag straps, etc.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

If you have Canadian style rigging with a stainless cable going from the mast to the poles I would use 5/8" nylon on the main haul in. It is easy on your hands and seems to wear decently. 1/2" nylon on the tips. 3/8" nylon on the snooters. It seems to me anything I have bought with tracers in it have always had the tracers UV rot and makes for a rough pull. You want that cable going to the mast with nylon though because it does stretch some. I have ran it without cables and it seems a couple of days into the trip you would have to take up some slack. With the Canadian style I have not had to readjust. On a similar note the boats that have the chicken wing or grasshopper style pole tensioners are pretty nice. You set up your haul in lines on the cleat for the season and set it and forget it.