Spooling new wire line.

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Spooling new wire line.

Post by Salty »

Thanks curmudgeon.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Kjwelder,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android) and this is what I did:
When you "post reply" here you will have the option to "upload attachment" on the bottom of the page. *If you use "quick reply", I'm not sure you can access this option so make sure you use the "post reply" button and not the "quick reply".
From "post reply" you "choose file" which is the picture you want to upload from your android gallery. If you don't have it in your gallery then you'd first have to get it to your device.
JKD
Spammer?: No

Post by JKD »

Thanks for everyone's input on wire blocks. Are those new, un-named trolling blocks made by "Loomis"? They appear to be a lot more substantial than the 'Kolstrand' and 'Shamrock' blocks I was familiar with and what are suspended from my current hayrack.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

If you are in the quick reply box go down to the full editor button, click it, and then on the lower left an options tab comes up with "upload attachment" to the right. Click on that and you can start uploading pictures from your device. For some reason my pictures from my iphone load without resizing. For those from my computer I have to downsize them to 480 pixels or so for them to come right up.
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

@Carojae
I tried full editor, upload attachments... nothing works. Even tried from my laptop, I still get an "invalid type error"
I think my phone, Lg g2 is the problem because i cant open mms messages from ios devices.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Loomis sounds familiar, I bet that is the block I was referring to and what is hanging in Salty's photo. I think they were about $40, or $10 more than the imported blocks. Something along those lines, anyway.

Trnaround, when I took old blocks apart that were "sticky", I found the top of the center boss had worn away, allowing the sheave to drop a bit so it made contact with the frame at the bottom. But, that was after many years of use. Can't deny that a bronze bushing riding on a stainless boss would be longer-lived.

I had the "Loomis" blocks apart to put some lube on them when they were new. I don't remember what the boss on them was made out of, but I remember being pleased it was beefier than the old blocks I was replacing.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

image.jpg
Here is a drawing of the line spoiler Karl built for me. Wobbled a bit but sure better than hand coiling.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

kjwelder wrote:@Carojae
I tried full editor, upload attachments... nothing works. Even tried from my laptop, I still get an "invalid type error"
I think my phone, Lg g2 is the problem because i cant open mms messages from ios devices.
Hmm. Yeah it must be on your end some how. Don't know what to suggest other than checking your settings to see if there is a block on or something. Maybe someone else has another idea.

Jim
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Salty, it looks like the aluminum sleeve fits over the end of the shaft and is held on by a cotter pin. What holds the spool on to the square? Nice drawing by the way.
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

The aluminum piece of pipe slides over the shaft. It is held on by a bolt. The bolt is tapped in the aluminum and just pinches the shaft. This is not intended to haul any weight or be used as an additional spool for fishing. It just winds/unwinds wire. The spool is bolted onto the aluminum. I'm glad my drawing finally got posted. Ths
kj
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Oh that's your drawing Karl, excellent. Thanks
JKD

Post by JKD »

Thanks for another great idea, Karl. I was initially thrown-off by Salty's post of the drawing where he referred to it as a 'spoiler' instead of a 'spooler'. I really don't need any help with spoiling trolling wire - I'm really good at it already. One of these will be a big help for me in a few weeks.