Sea water temp gauge question.

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
gumpucky

Sea water temp gauge question.

Post by gumpucky »

Is there a water temperature gauge/thermometer available that can be rigged to clip on your wire ?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Sea water temp gauge question.

Post by Salty »

I forwarded this to a computer device genius who makes things like this, and a lot of money. He said he w as unaware of such a device. How do the Atlantic sword fishermen find those temps at depth.
ironpaso
Spammer?: No

Post by ironpaso »

I know that many of the bass fisherman on fresh water have temp gauges that measure surface temp, perhaps one of those could be rigged to drop on a line. Not a sophisticated solution, but may work if you can get a long enough lead wire. For fresh water trout fishing I use a pocket size thermometer to check stream temps, and have used on Lake Michigan as well. I just clipped on my line and dropped it down. You can get your temp, but you have to bring it up. There are also some cameras that some inland guys play with, maybe some of those have temp on them now. Harry
Drew

Post by Drew »

Salty wrote:How do the Atlantic sword fishermen find those temps at depth.
A fiberglass stabie mounted on a davit that can be lowered to the desired depth. I can't find any pictures, but that is how it was described in a book I read.

They use surface temp first and just drop that to fine tune where they want to set.
Johnnyt707

Post by Johnnyt707 »

http://www.fishhawkelectronics.com/mari ... wk-x4.html this might be what you are looking for i had one on my sport boat have not tried it on the troller
WRHardie

Post by WRHardie »

When I longlined back East we used SST charts some boats had "downtemp" on their fishfinders. But for sword and tuna you're not really setting the gear deep so the surface temp is a good guide. For up here run a thermometer tied to your cannon ball, should give you a good starting point.