USMC Veteran prospect to HT SE Alaska

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Ckrueger08
Spammer?: No

USMC Veteran prospect to HT SE Alaska

Post by Ckrueger08 »

Howdy folks,
I'm new to the game and would take great interest in advice anyone would like to give on the way.. Alittle back ground on me is I'm 29 and spent 8 years in the marines. I'm a die hard outdoors man and honestly believe commercial fishing would be the best thing I could ever do, I don't have dreams about getting rich or anything like that and successful to me would be making enough to keep going. After researching my plan right now is to get a 20ft F/V I found a older bay liner that has a small cabin on it.. From what I've read on here a cabin is a must in the winter? Also I haven't found anything on daily catch limits? Any help on that would be appreciated. And with it being just me, my dog, and a fifths heel trailer what part of SE alaska be the best to base my self? Thank you everyone for your time! Hope all is we'll where ever you may be
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: USMC Veteran prospect to HT SE Alaska

Post by fveureka »

http://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/4513683531.html

spend more in the game rather that fixing up a sport boat
Ckrueger08

Post by Ckrueger08 »

Awesome, Thank you... In regards to setting this boat up, recommendations on davits, gurdies, and stabilizers?
fveureka
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by fveureka »

Glad to help....the boat owner may have the davits and hand gurdies. A frames and poles, stabies are not not hard to find. There is also alot of info on rigging something that is practically fishing ready on this site or laying around boat yards in any SE village/town. Heck, you buy this boat, I will give you a nice set of highly polished aluminum stabies I kept from my old HT and teach you how to fid/rig up the set out and haul in lines. The Sea Lion is parked on the finger in front of my troller.
Ckrueger08

Post by Ckrueger08 »

That would be awesome.. Unfortunately I'm still 3 months away from then end of my hitch here in the North Dakota oil fields.. So if it's still availible come September/ October I'll come up and view possibly buy..