Hello Introduction

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
GaribaldiFisher
Spammer?: No

Hello Introduction

Post by GaribaldiFisher »

Hi All,

Just joined the site and wanted to introduce myself hopefully this is the right place for this. I'm 34 and live in Garibaldi, OR. A quiet little fishing town. I have been going to sea for many years sport fishing. Some of the people in my life while growing up commercial fished the area though it never occurred to me at that stage in life to learn from them. It wasn't until recently that I realized that I might make a good commercial fisherman. A few weeks ago while sport fishing for salmon I began thinking of my next boat. What would I get next? Something bigger? yes! Something diesel powered with low burn rate? yes! Something I could actually buy for under $50k? YES! A commercial troller! It makes sense to me. Then I began thinking of the part time potential I might have, commercially licensed vessel may allow me to make a little money to offset my fishing expenses.

From a perspective of love of old boats and the history and heritage of these old boats I think I would really enjoy the extra capacity while sport tuna fishing. I would also have great range able to fish far off places or the halibut derby days when it is snotty out and most sport boats don't go. Best of all no more trailer and launch lines to deal with. The idea has merit to me. A troller in the 32'-42' range appeals to me. What say you experienced owners?

Thank you for your input,

Eric
lone eagle

Re: Hello Introduction

Post by lone eagle »

Part time...how flexible is your work schedule and can you stay on the fish when they're biting .I know one guy who did pretty good at that
GaribaldiFisher

lone eagle wrote:Part time...how flexible is your work schedule and can you stay on the fish when they're biting .I know one guy who did pretty good at that
My work schedule is flexible so long as I can replace my daily income for the days that I miss. I was thinking of fishing three days a week maybe more if things work out. Yes, I can stay on the fish. Last summer I found a pod of silvers a couple miles from the main sport fleet, I was able to stay on them from July - sept. 30th when it closed. This year is somewhat the same, they have moved a little but I have had no problem finding them and limiting multiple rods most every outing, there has been a couple of days that was tough fishing but overall it's been very good. Thank you for your reply.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

I know you had a good bite on Chinook up there this year..sounds good but of course big boats suck up big money, best of luck
GaribaldiFisher

lone eagle wrote:I know you had a good bite on Chinook up there this year..sounds good but of course big boats suck up big money, best of luck
Thanks. This is part of what I am here to learn. What kind of costs am I looking at compared to maintaining a used sport boat? Every boat I have owned has been a bottomless cash pit and I expect a commercial boat will be no less however, the opportunity to use the bigger boat more and the extended range and fish capacity may be a fair trade?

I am also just curious to learn how commercial trolling works? How many lures in a spread? how many spreads per side? Do the number of spools determine the number of spreads? Are spreads vertical or horizontal to water column? Oh so many questions from a eager mind. Thanks for the help.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

My 2 cents...You live next to a harbor so wander down and check out the boats and gear, pick their brains for all you can ,and try to go out fishing for a couple of days for free...might be a goldmine of knowledge
GaribaldiFisher

lone eagle wrote:My 2 cents...You live next to a harbor so wander down and check out the boats and gear, pick their brains for all you can ,and try to go out fishing for a couple of days for free...might be a goldmine of knowledge
Okay, I'll give that a try. Good idea.
latitudes
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by latitudes »

As a guy who did just that, 10 years later in life, and a little further north (Neah Bay) I can share with you the following.
1. A commercial boat is 10x the care of a sport boat. (my sport boat is a 24 Osprey). There are many more systems, which require much more care. Most of the boats you will be looking at are over 40 years old. Some of the wood boats even older. Taking care if it will be a year around process.
2. There is no such thing as a "turn key" boat. Any boat purchased will require a lot of work and money to get her up to standards.
3. If you do proceed, find a good surveyor. He/she will be able to point out many of the little things that will need to be done before you can safely proceed. (see number 2 above)
4. You will spend some crummy days on the ocean. With a boat that only goes 7 to 9 knots, you don't just run in when the weather is bad, sometimes you get to spend all night jogging into it, as drifting in the trough is not worth it.
5. Be sure to have a spare stabie or 2 on board. This incase you find a crab pot, or decide to drift in the trough anyway (see number 4) and one pops off.
6. Be sure to have a healthy account to back you your first year. If I did not have a 2nd job during my first year, I would not be at it this year.
7. Shop boats for awhile. Find a retired troller, or someone you can trust to go with you to look at boats. There are lots of them out there and it is easy to fall in love with one, best to have someone who is neutral in the process, and knowledgable to give you advice.
8. Find out who is good in your area for the various trades. You will want a good electrician, diesel mechanic, hydraulic guy, marine electronics guy, and if it's wood, a wood butcher.

All of that being said, I love commercial fishing. When I bought my boat, my girlfriend of 8 years left. Not at all because of the boat, but the boat became the new girl in my life. I gave her all of my attention, and learned a lot in the process. The number of parallels between how you treat your boat and how you treat a woman are endless. Sunrise and sunset on the ocean are magical. And when you are out there and the seas are calm, the fish are biting, there is nothing better. These are the days that see you though the times when your knuckles are bloody and you're in the engine room at 140 degrees in a pitching sea trying to replace the coupler that broke causing your refrigeration compressor to go down.
In an order of magnitude, commercial fishing is at least 10x what sport fishing is. the cost, the time, the work, and the reward.
latitudes
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by latitudes »

I forgot to mention, the brokers I looked at daily for 2 years were the following:
Dock Street Brokers
GSI Boats
Pacific Boat Brokers
Oregon Boat Brokers
Copper River Permits
Permit Master
And there was one more from Alaska I think it was Alaska Permits
Check them every day, as new stuff pops up, and it will give you an idea of what's out there.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Great post Joe.
islands50

Post by islands50 »

haven't posted in a while but I like your idea, wish I had done the same back in the 70's, I continue to look at all of the brokers sites even today, ran across this one that is in your area that you may have already have seen, the "Brea" http://oregonfishpermits.com/ on page 1, photos look a little ruff but taking a good look in person may change your mind.

John
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

latitudes wrote:As a guy who did just that, 10 years later in life, and a little further north (Neah Bay) I can share with you the following.
1. A commercial boat is 10x the care of a sport boat. (my sport boat is a 24 Osprey). There are many more systems, which require much more care. Most of the boats you will be looking at are over 40 years old. Some of the wood boats even older. Taking care if it will be a year around process.
2. There is no such thing as a "turn key" boat. Any boat purchased will require a lot of work and money to get her up to standards.
3. If you do proceed, find a good surveyor. He/she will be able to point out many of the little things that will need to be done before you can safely proceed. (see number 2 above)
4. You will spend some crummy days on the ocean. With a boat that only goes 7 to 9 knots, you don't just run in when the weather is bad, sometimes you get to spend all night jogging into it, as drifting in the trough is not worth it.
5. Be sure to have a spare stabie or 2 on board. This incase you find a crab pot, or decide to drift in the trough anyway (see number 4) and one pops off.
6. Be sure to have a healthy account to back you your first year. If I did not have a 2nd job during my first year, I would not be at it this year.
7. Shop boats for awhile. Find a retired troller, or someone you can trust to go with you to look at boats. There are lots of them out there and it is easy to fall in love with one, best to have someone who is neutral in the process, and knowledgable to give you advice.
8. Find out who is good in your area for the various trades. You will want a good electrician, diesel mechanic, hydraulic guy, marine electronics guy, and if it's wood, a wood butcher.

All of that being said, I love commercial fishing. When I bought my boat, my girlfriend of 8 years left. Not at all because of the boat, but the boat became the new girl in my life. I gave her all of my attention, and learned a lot in the process. The number of parallels between how you treat your boat and how you treat a woman are endless. Sunrise and sunset on the ocean are magical. And when you are out there and the seas are calm, the fish are biting, there is nothing better. These are the days that see you though the times when your knuckles are bloody and you're in the engine room at 140 degrees in a pitching sea trying to replace the coupler that broke causing your refrigeration compressor to go down.
In an order of magnitude, commercial fishing is at least 10x what sport fishing is. the cost, the time, the work, and the reward.
What he said to the letter.
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

I agree with everything above and would add that craigslist has many boats that are not listed with brokers and some sellers just put a 'for sale' sign in the window.
GaribaldiFisher

latitudes wrote:As a guy who did just that, 10 years later in life, and a little further north (Neah Bay) I can share with you the following.

Latitudes, thank you for taking some time to write all of that. It has been very helpful. I have been watching the broker sites for the right boat. Your insight is just what I need in order to understand the involvements of owning a commercial boat. Thanks again!
GaribaldiFisher

islands50 wrote:haven't posted in a while but I like your idea, wish I had done the same back in the 70's, I continue to look at all of the brokers sites even today, ran across this one that is in your area that you may have already have seen, the "Brea" http://oregonfishpermits.com/ on page 1, photos look a little ruff but taking a good look in person may change your mind.

John
Yes I have seen Brea on the oregonfishingpermits site. I also cruise the docks weekly looking at boats with a sign in the window. The hunt for the right boat is pretty fun.
tunaddict

Post by tunaddict »

Hi, Read your post about part time fishing. Here is my story. I was a avid sports guy like you. I asked my wife of 25 yrs if I could do tuna 4 months a yr, and then go back to work the rest of time. Problem 1. getting the boat ready in spring takes a month or more. 2. Sometimes the bite is better off Coos bay. Other times its in front of West Port. 3. Stuck in a different port cause of weather, Sucks. 4 Transient moorage. 5. Not a local boat, hard to sell fish sometimes. 6. DECKHANDS yuk. 7. Hoping all your checks clear from small buyers. 8. year end shut down seems to take for ever. 9, Winter to do list is always long. 10. NEED BIGGER BOAT. Having listed just a few major eye openers. I took the leep. first yr just tuna. 5 months gone from home. I was able to quit my home job and just work on the house that winter. This yr, yr 2 started with salmon in Oregon in April and fished until mid Sept all on Salmon. Never got the tuna gear on the boat. The point of me telling this story is. I started out like you and ended with a new job that I wouldn't give up for anything. Good luck. If still lookin for a good wood boat to start with, hit me up. I need a bigger boat. Did I mention DECKHANDS?
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

This was my first year I bought a turnkey Troller!!! Ya right!! I know one thing Joe is right Have lots of money in the bank AFTER you buy the boat!!! Lots of work just to keep them up. I need to spend a month cleaning, Painting, sealing leaks, refinishing and painting decks, redo all the tag lines, Put new rope and chain on stabies, fix the anchor winch, OH AND PUT A NEW MOTOR in one of those turnkey Trollers!! LOL But still glad I took the plunge!!! I love it!! Lost my butt but gained a ton of knowledge and experience fishing and working on the ole tub, and deckhanding for another captain when boat was down.
Good luck and I think you will either love it or hate it!!