Bad day

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
bent fin

Re: Bad day

Post by bent fin »

there is a cap on the charter fleet as far as halibut permits. one lodge can't own more than 25 permits. so a new comer wold be hard pressed to book trips with out one.so i don't see the charter fleet growing any more. but i do see a lot more snow birds coming up that don't have a clue how to work with the troll or charter fleet.
kjwelder
Spammer?: No

Post by kjwelder »

I think there should be a public meeting with a mediator that uses the collaborative process to define the problem, identify the stake holders,
And work towards some sort of guidelines to help reduce conflict out there.
This summer was nuts at the corner. I have no idea why some people operate they way they do on the water. I am especially concerened about the anchoring. I assume some people may wonder the same about me doing what i do. I think it would be worth the time to find out why people do what they do. There may be some yelling and punching, there may be some productive dialog. Who knows. Invite the press. BYOB.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Post by Trnaround »

Great idea kjwelder, the Charter Fleet unfortunately has the laws behind them with regard to anchoring and unless that changes they would be reluctant to attend. Inviting Alaska Fish and Game and USCG might get their attention however, who are the governing bodies that could be a threat to them.
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

I like it. There would probably be extremes, but perhaps some meaningful dialog. Sporties usually look up to and somewhat follow guides. If charter operators and trollers generally followed co-developed guidelines, it would probably have some effect on the "snow-birds," particularly if it was coupled with a general guidelines pamphlet describing the fisheries, troll patterns, areas, etc. A co-developed publication would lend the guidelines more credibility, as it's one thing to tick off one group and another to annoy every professional on the water.