Question on documenting ex-canadian vessel

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
Jackson
Spammer?: No

Question on documenting ex-canadian vessel

Post by Jackson »

Boat X, a mid 40' troller, was built in Canada but ad measured and sold to someone in the lower 48 decades ago. That vessel is currently registered with their state and for sale. Even if buying it within the States now, as a US Citizen, it cannot be documented with the USCG and must be registered with Alaska DMV, correct?

How does this effect participation in the S.E troll fishery? If I understand it correctly, the ad measure "documents" the vessel as under Net 5tons and allows it to engage in fisheries like any normal documented vessel? Does being under 5tons on paper, and only registered with the state, restrict anything else?

I will continue to google, and tab around between uscg, ak dmv, etc, but any answers are appreciated. :)
paul
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Question on documenting ex-canadian vessel

Post by paul »

There are a lot of Canadian built boats in the Southeast troll fishery. The hard part and expensive part has been done for you already with the admeasure. There used to be some benefits in having a documented boat like free health insurance. I don't know of any benefits anymore.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Best answers are mostly easily found on this website right here, by using search bar in upper right of page. Some laymen may give you an argument, but many Canadian vessels that have passed their admeasure are being commercial fished in SE Alaska by U.S. citizens. The admeasure does not "document" the vessel. It merely proves the boat is under 5 net tons and therefore exempt from the federal law requiring larger boats participating in commercial fisheries to be U.S. built.

At lot of Canadian boats have come to the US as a result of the Canadian government helping their fishermen move into the "future".
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

This is definitely a great source for information. I tried searching here first with no luck. However, I may have needed to refine my search terms a little more carefully.
We fish around a handful Canadian boats, so while I knew they could fish, I was just unsure of limitations and hoops they may have to jump through. If there are no real restrictions on where or how an ad measured vessel can fish versus a documented vessel than this seems like a non-issue. :)
Thank you for your responses. They are very helpful!
JYDPDX

Post by JYDPDX »

Sometimes Google is better for searching forum info. I think it optimizes for instance the word "ad measure" in topics first and in the body second. So you get the most pertinent stuff first not every single post that ever had the word mentioned.

Try googling this: ad measure salmontrolling