Mustad Hooks

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Big Chinook
Spammer?: No

Mustad Hooks

Post by Big Chinook »

Has anyone ever used Mustad 9499XXX 6/0 hooks before? Did you like them?
Fishnpohl

Re: Mustad Hooks

Post by Fishnpohl »

Junk..... Dull out of the box.... I have broke 3 this spring on small kings under 15 lbs I liked the look of them however braking at the eye new from the box!! Junk
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I have used 9510xxx ss # 6 for a couple of years but they must have changed the alloy because the last two boxes are rusting at the bend in the eye and failing. Gone back to my last box of 95165. Any body got a real good # 6 ss open eye?
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Lets do a group buy.
Our own alloy. Lets figure out what we used to get and have them made them for us.
Maybe an alloy like what N and E used to be. I want a 95170 style with a semi Si Wash bend .
We could do a better product spec than what we can buy right now I am sure.
Question is pricing.
We need to figure it out.
The hooks today are terrible.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

I like the 95165 too. Wish they didn't stop making them.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Remember in 2013, the Mustad 95170 snapped when the barb was bent down. A little piece of the barb was left. I got caught by Coast Guard in one of their joint task force enforcement operation over this issue. Fortunately, I was outside state waters and the infraction was relayed to NOAA. The NOAA officer was more knowledgeable and understanding of the situation; i.e. I made the best attempt to bend the barb down, that the ignorance Coasties.

As a result, I investigate why this happens (barb snapping instead of bending). After talking with Pacific Net and finally Mustad, I learned the Sweds continue to make the metal stock, BUT moved the bending and annealing process to China. The Chinese couldn't get the annealing (cooling the metal down) process down which caused the hooks to be brittle.

As a result, I looked at all the available manufactures and found Qi hooks (pronounced Chi). Great hooks! I was able to go from Mustad 5/0s to Qi 7/0 without effecting the spoon or hoochie performance. The best feature of the Qi straight hook, verses the claw point, is the distance from the hook's point to the throat is about .25" longer. I believe I loose fewer fish because there is more hook keeping them on.

I'll never go back to Mustad. Check out Englund Marine as a source who sells Qi hooks.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Murray Pacific also sells these hooks which Mike Mayo developed. The first batch had problems but they are working great now.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

I sell Mike's hooks to anyone who will listen They catch more, bend less, and have yet to fail after two seasons.
Big Chinook

Post by Big Chinook »

Lulu, What are mikes hooks and what do they run per /100?
jgallagher33

Post by jgallagher33 »

carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

I am interested in some Q-165 6/0. Are these similar to the old Barker style Mustad hooks? I can't believe there's a place to buy these again. Wow.
Furuno

Post by Furuno »

My kids don't like Qi hooks! Iused to pay them 10cents to sharpen every Mustad hood I bought. The Qi hooks are very sharp right out of the box. I'l never buy another Mustad.
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Qi Hooks Box of 100 cost about $50. Just bought 3 boxes from Englund Marine in Newport, OR (541-265-9275). They had to ship them in from another store. Got the feeling Englund was having problems getting gear from Japan. Effects of the west coast dock strike. Pacific Net told me they wouldn't have their order of hoochies until mid-April. I'll be headed north by then!