Chain length on Stabilizers

Troubleshooting, repair, and how-to's related to marine systems.
Jamill45
Spammer?: No

Chain length on Stabilizers

Post by Jamill45 »

I am in the process of rigging up my stabilizers and I am having some questions about whether I am doing it right? Is there a standard size of chain used? What length of chain is standard?

Thanks in advance!

Jake
Lulu

Re: Chain length on Stabilizers

Post by Lulu »

Depends upon boat length, depth of your boat, and placement of the poles. Generally, you want the floppers twice the depth of the boat. But, you need to consider the chance of the floppers getting fouled in the prop or still being too short they'll jump out of the water in an unruly sea, there is a balance. Suggest rigging Canadian style with a one foot length of chain suspended from the pole. Attach flopper line to chain with a shackle. Then run a line to the bow connected to the same shackle on the chain. This set up distributes some of the load to the bow verses all forces trying to bend the pole in half. Also need to place a pad eye opposite the flopper and run a line to the mast, again distributing the forces to another point verses all on the pole. I use .5" chain I don't think it matters just as long as you can get everything in the boat. Some smaller boats use cable reducing drag so the floppers are as forward as possible and out of the way of the tip line. Cable is hard to pull and tough on the hands, even with gloves. Walk the docks to get some ideas before investing the time and money.
sven

Post by sven »

I think you want to run the stabilizers at least 3 fathoms deep, 4 fathoms is better but like Lulu said, it depends on the size of your boat and how far out on the pole they are. Mine were about 3 fathoms down and I had a stabilizer launch out of the water when I was drifting. Not a good feeling. I think that 1/2" chain is over-kill and will have lots more drag than is necessary. 5/16" chain is good or 3/8" if you have a big boat.
good luck,
jonathan
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

The key here is stainless chain vs cable or galvanized. Costs more but a bargain.. Slides through the water and sheds kelp much better than the others. Easier on the hands than cable and doesn't stain your boat with rust like galvanized.
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

I'm rigging my new boat with spectra (also called spectron or dyneema or kevlar) line to the staybies. 1/4 is 6000 pound breaking strength.
Jamill45

Post by Jamill45 »

Thanks for the responses.

I can't find stainless chain here in Juneau - is it readily available at Murray Pacific in Sitka or Ketchikan?

Are you using just spectra without chain?
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

I you decide to go with the standard galvanized chain, try a 3" zinc on the flopper to help keep the rusting down. I also think it helps bring the fish to the snotters.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Stainless available at Murray in Sitka. KJ welder might be on to something with Spectra. He is usually leading the way.
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

Just spectra. No chain.
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

KJ: 1/4" may be 6,000 lb breaking strength, but what about the shock load and pressure focused on one point of the spectra if you snag a log? Also, going to have to be very careful with the knife if you have to cut some kelp off in the rough.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

I'm with KJ. Been using spectra (Am-Steel) for a couple seasons. Less drag, and no more clanking heavy chains! We haul in the stabies using the 3rd gurdie-spool so clearing kelp is easy using a sharp machete and hacking down away from the spectra and the haul-in line from the gurdie. Even crew could do it! <grin>
dellori3

Post by dellori3 »

kjwelder wrote:I'm rigging my new boat with spectra (also called spectron or dyneema or kevlar) line to the staybies. 1/4 is 6000 pound breaking strength.
Wow,when I read this I was surprised for that is are conclusion. We rigging the entire boat with Dyneema . we selected 1/8 @ 2000 lbs. for our small boat.
It could be the new trend in rigging
Del
dellori3

Post by dellori3 »

If this is on a small boat, the rule of thumb is to prevent it from reaching the prop! forget chain use a cable or Dyneema and soft haul in line.
Del
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Interesting, I imagine this is how rigging evolves these days.
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Trnaround »

Other than abrasion resistance, I always thought the chain added weight to the stable so that it would drop better in heavy seas. If you are underway it probably makes little difference but at slow speeds, turns in heavy seas or drifting it may make a difference. Seems like it would be nice to eliminate the chain. Easy enough to correct if you don't like it though.
Furuno

Post by Furuno »

For 6 seasons I've used 3 fathoms of 3/8 Spectra on my 45f boat. No corrosion, no rust, and very easy to haul by hand. The Canadian rigging described earlier is bestfor strength. I was initially worried about chafing, but that hasn't been a problem. I'm hoping to get 6 more years out ot the Spectra.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Like, Furuno.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

All these timely posts with new ideas while re-rigging my "new" boat. I might have to try this.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

Jackson, these ex-Canadian boats with snooters like ours have all those forward and aft stays for the poles. Dunno about yours, but mine were all steel cables made of what looked like telephone pole guy-wire and had shackles and turnbuckles all over the place. I hated the look of it and the whole lash-up was so heavy that I needed to use the capstan winch to bring the poles up. So in 2012 I replaced everything with Amsteel-Blue spectra and eliminated all the shackles and turnbuckles by using thimbles and lashings. Now I can raise the poles easily by hand without the hydraulics and if I get ambitious or in a hurry I can raise them both at the same time! And as Furuno says, the spectra has held up great and should last many more years.
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

There was some discussion about this and other pole rigging ideass on the thread here: http://www.salmontrolling.com/viewtopic ... 852#p12556