Flashers

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Lulu
Spammer?: No

Flashers

Post by Lulu »

Most boats fish red hot spots only. Few exclusively green. And, there are those who fish green in clear to light green water and red in dark water.

Any thoughts?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Flashers

Post by Salty »

I have hundreds of flashers in the garage, metal and plastic, from Dodgers to Nootkas, from pearl white through every shade in the rainbow to black. I have dozens of brands. I have flashers that spin, that rotate oh so slowly, that never rotate but dodge back and forth, that rotate three turns one way at the right speed, and then dish out and start rotating the other way. I have all kinds of paint and stickers for dressing them up. I have some with ball bearing swivels, I have some with barrel swivels so they will seize up after a few rotations and spin the other way. I have flashers with magic "chips" in them. I have some flashers that fish better at 50 fathoms and some above 10. I have flashers with washboard like ridges.
I have flashers for pinks, for chums, for sockeye, for early coho, for ocean fishing, for fishing in tide rips, for fishing in bays.
I have flashers for almost every historic bite in my fishing career in the areas I fish. I have ordered a run of 3,000 custom made flashers for our group. I have ordered up to 50 dozen flashers for myself in a season.
But, what I don't have yet is the flasher that will be the hottest this season. Could someone pm a picture of it?
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

"PURPLE" for the win!
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

LOL Some where in the attic I have some Ab & Ls and Nootkas. I have a representative sampling of Salt's inventory, at least what I could get off the shelve or was given to me. I tend to migrate back to standards. Just interested if someone had a rational reason for fishing the same stuff. Other than it catches.

I did hear the hot spots made in China don't fish worth a nickel. Need to make sure they're manufactured in Canada.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

There is rationality in troller lure selection Lulu? LMAO!
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

most of the guys I know have the rational, "throw it in the water and see if it works."
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Assuming you can make a rational decision based on what happens next? There is science, there is math, from which you can often derive rational conclusions. Then there is fishing, religion, and politics. They, I think, are in the realm of faith and spirituality...
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Amen brother! I have a science degree. I have been trained to connect the dots, evaluate the weight of data, search for more data and its relevance, study those constants which influence an outcome. My conclusion is salmon don't read the memo.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

LOL
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

Flashers have evolved a lot the past few years. The newer jelly belly's (?) are intriguing if a flasher is suppose to flash.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Oddball low drag flashers are my nemesis...

I tried the cone zone flasher's last year. They did not work well for me. Moon Jelly UV was supposedly one of their better colors.

Fish Flash were better. I called and tried to order some fish flash from Yakima Bait Co in a old color they used to make and they treated me like trash. If by chance you read this Yakima Bait, up yours.

Short Bus was another company I called and the guy that makes them seemed nice enough but I have yet to try those.

My best producer over the years has been Hot Spot .

The rest were a waste of money.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

image.jpg
I just did some very rough calculations. In my fishing career I have made well over ar million dollars on fish caught on flashers other than "hot spots". Just when you think you have it all figured out you find out you don't have a clue. When you get over the stages of grief associated with that epiphany then you might become open to real learning. At least that is my path. But, I am the author and chief contributor to the "you know you are a Lowliner when....." Thread.
On the other hand, I have caught 14 king salmon on two lures or less over the last 4 days and given most of them away.
Brother Dave

Post by Brother Dave »

Cool pic! Is that one of the guys from ZZ Top?

Has anyone ever used the Tomic flashers?

Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I used to use the big red ones as triggers to start clatters on coho and chum. Never had much success with stacking them up. Heavier to handle, more drag..
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I will sell some if anyone is interested.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Makes me wonder which ones you have been successful with?
Wow , I have tried all kinds of dogers / flahers/ spinners and none have been that wonderful.
Maybe I don't have not enough faith in them to drag them long enough?
Seems I always come full circle when trying out different ideas.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Remember Abe and Al's? Remember Nootka's? Remember Oki's? Then there are the custom made that I ordered over 3,000 for a group of guys once. At least for me, Hot spots are but one of many flasher choices. Then there was the period when I almost exclusively used hot spots with chartreuse plastic, then blue, then red, then clear.... Now I fish according to my mood. Red when I am angry, blue when I am sad, and green when I am optimistic... Seems to have solved the anxiety about which color to use.... And when I am not sure about my mood I use stripers or holographic.
Some of the above is the unadulterated truth.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Abe and Al's ....

Yep I have got them, as a matter of fact they work splendidly for a shaft brush spring. Seriously though flasher's impart action into a hootchie. The fish bite the hootchie not the flasher. Does color of a flasher matter ? My guess would be yes but it is above my pay grade. I can tell you if a flasher is out of shape or the Mylar starts to come off fish ability is affected. I know the devil is in the details......

More to think about.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Well, having fished the "usual" on the last couple boats I crewed on, I'll say MY new boat came with a ton of old school gear, including a lot of well used Abe and Al's (which is all I ever heard about from the old trollers growing up in Oregon). Whether they only left their "scrub gear" on the boat for me to fail with, or retired it all I do not know. But I'm going to give them a try. :)
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Jackson wrote:Well, having fished the "usual" on the last couple boats I crewed on, I'll say MY new boat came with a ton of old school gear, including a lot of well used Abe and Al's (which is all I ever heard about from the old trollers growing up in Oregon). Whether they only left their "scrub gear" on the boat for me to fail with, or retired it all I do not know. But I'm going to give them a try. :)

I think they used to call them kelp cutters.