Chain length on Stabilizers

Troubleshooting, repair, and how-to's related to marine systems.
Drew
Spammer?: No

Re: Chain length on Stabilizers

Post by Drew »

Try switching one to a different attachment position and see if there is a difference. If that doesn't work, you might have to get out your saw and make the wood part of the stabies smaller.

I had problems with this last year. I had the stabies 2 sizes smaller than the biggest (the wood ones from murray's) and they didn't do enough to counteract the rolling. So I moved to one size bigger. Well that size actually had the same size lead on it as the smaller size and the only difference was a bigger piece of wood. This resulted in the stabies taking longer to sink than the roll of the boat and I actually busted one of the pole mounts when I was running with only one stabie in the water. I'm putting on new mast and poles and will try the largest stabies. If I have to cut them down a bit to get them balanced right I will do that.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Salty wrote:The best solution is anchoring in a bay or cove where you don't need stables. Sleep better, make better decisions, catch more fish, have more fun, extends your fishing career.

This said by a man who obviously knows his stuff :)

Although even if it's flat I still throw them out in the anchorage. My boat rides 200% better with them in.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

LOL Crawfish
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

Definitely, throw them in when needed and don't pull them until your back in the harbor. Sleep like a baby at anchor with the floppers in.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

So,
One time it was kind of lumpy in the harbor, to the point that even with the stables out I would be flopping all night. There were also some nice patches of Macrocysis kelp in one spot. Towed the stables over there, set the anchor and hardly rolled all night. Powered the stables in next morning, cut the kelp, hauled the anchor, cut the kelp and went fishing well rested.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

On the above, I knew there was plenty of water under that patch of Macrocysis. I don't recommend driving over growing kelp unless you are sure there isn't a rock under.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

I have a friend who told me back in the 60's they would be fishing off of Channel Islands for Swordfish and at the end of the day they would find a large kelp island and slide the boat right into the center of the mass and drift with it all night. He said it would be blowing 20 knots with white caps everywhere and they would hardly move. In the morning they would work there way out and fish until the weather came up then go find another kelp island and go hide. Sounds like fun. Why does it always seem the good times are now sans.

Reminds me how much I hate rolling around all night.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Nice post Crawfish.
nashfam

Post by nashfam »

Last year I did taglines with 1/8" orange Amsteel and I was very happy with the results. Very visible, very strong
Chris+Iris Nash, F/V Orion