outboard hydro-pack

Troubleshooting, repair, and how-to's related to marine systems.
cweg94
Spammer?: No

outboard hydro-pack

Post by cweg94 »

I bought a 24 foot crab skiff to fish dungies and hand troll out of. I was thinking of trying to power troll next year out of it as well. However I really don't want my honda pack running while I'm on deck (hopefully all day) pulling fish. Has anyone ever used or seen one of those hyrdo packs that run off the fly wheel on an outboard to run power gurdies?
Sobie2

Re: outboard hydro-pack

Post by Sobie2 »

I am only aware of one company who does that...

http://www.deepdropcommercial.com/fishi ... aulic-kit/

It seems like a great idea if you can use an electric hub engage/disengage. I have no idea about the price of it or where it ships from. You can really silence a Honda power pack though with a better muffler, a sound proof enclosure, and by mounting it as far away as possible and on the other side of a wall or something. I have seen someone else on the web with electric gurdies instead of hydraulic.

Sobie2
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Looks like a lot of work to do to a big expensive outboard. I'm sure you could kiss any type of warranty goodbye too. I wish somebody would figure out how to put hydro pump on a 8hp 4 Stroke kicker motor and then go sans the prop and use it solely to run gurdies. Water cooled with a good cowling to keep sound down on the back of the boat to keep it out of the way.

I use the 5.5 Kolstrand Honda powerpack. It's ok.
cweg94

Post by cweg94 »

Thanks for the replies guys. I am kind of thinking I will just get a bigger boat set up for power trolling. I agree running something off a kicker would be great. If only I I had the know how, or time, to figure it out.