Salt Away for Lexan Windows

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
latitudes
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Salt Away for Lexan Windows

Post by latitudes »

I have Lexan window coverings for my wheelhouse windows. I've tried using Rain-x on them to keep the rain and salt water off of them, but it doesn't seem to help at all. Does anyone have a product suggestion on what to use to help shed the water better? It's no good coming into the marina at night with the windows all spotted up with rain or salt spray. Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe, AKA Latitudes
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Salt Away for Lexan Windows

Post by carojae »

Rain-x has other products such as the spray glass cleaner with repellent - just so you know. I've used it on plexiglass with some success (computer monitor box) but don't know how well it would work on lexan.
Good luck.
Lulu
Spammer?: No

Re: Salt Away for Lexan Windows

Post by Lulu »

The consideration is Lexan (a plastic) vs glass. Products like Rain-X are formulated to work on glass; basically filling the small surface voids and scratches. Plastics have a different surface tension than glass which does not lean themselves to effective use as preparations intended to be used with glass. There are plastic treatments available through retailers like TAP plastics which clean and fill the voids in plastic. I have not tried it, but I'm thinking the new head light restoration kits for newer vehicles may work because the head lamps covers are made of a plastic like Lexan.

Note: Lexan is a trade name of DuPont for polycarbonate. Other polycarbonate products are Makrolon and Lucite. They're all the same formulation with the same characteristics. Buy the cheap, off-the-shelf polycarbonate stuff and save some $$$$