Transducer/ depth sounder options

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
Robot
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Transducer/ depth sounder options

Post by Robot »

Not sure if this is the right place for this post but I have bought a new boat (Yay!) and true to form of old boats it has an outdated electronics package! (not yay!) I am planning on hauling out in April and would like to put in a decent 1kw transducer to get a decent depth sounder going on the boat that I am able to split and send the data to the pit and also Fwd to see from the helm. I'm new to bigger boats where you cant see the screens Fwd from the pit, any other ideas would help me out a lot. eg: laptop/computer screen aft.

Cheers!
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Transducer/ depth sounder options

Post by curmudgeon »

Hi Robert! Upgraded from Fools Gold? What'd you get? Pictures!
Seems among the trollers and longliners out of Sitka, that when guys upgrade they're going to Nobeltec CATCH Time-Zero Pro Version-3 for navigation, and adding the Sounder Pack, and then plugging in a Furuno DFF1-UHD black-box network sounder with an Airmar B265LH transducer. By itself it's a combination tough to beat. It not only gives you a computer-based color sounder picture, but it also paints the depth bathymetry onto the chart display and saves it! You could run it off a fast laptop with a good video processor for inside the wheelhouse and then get a VGA video splitter and wire it to a small flat screen display out in the cockpit.
Also give the Alaska Longline Fisherman's Assn a call and ask them about the depth bathymetry database they offer. Since the inception of the Nobeltec Catch program many of the boats have been sharing all their bathy data. It is now a huge file! The beauty of it is that we now have really good correct bathy coverage for most of the Southeast and central gulf coast. All the common drags are there. No more being surprised by pinnacles or ledges. Common anchorages are there too.
Robot
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Robot »

Thanks for the Info! Looking into those particulars. Good call on the Furuno black box, something I hadn't even considered. Anyone have any feedback on the CHIRP sounder tech.? I really like the sound of it! (see how I did that ;)

another note, the boat I bought, the F/V Blue Sea. Canadian built, 42 Ft. overall. a real gem. Ill post a pic in a bit. Gotta figure it out first.
Robot
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Robot »

BS.JPG
Here she is! Now I can actually justify fishing outside waters.... Really looking forward to it!
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

Sweet looking boat! We'll look for you out on the capes this year!
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I agree with curmudgeon.