Welded rings on spoons

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
Marvin'nWendi
Spammer?: No

Welded rings on spoons

Post by Marvin'nWendi »

Hi! Anybody know how to weld rings on spoons?
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Welded rings on spoons

Post by Once and Future »

I think they are welded on with an oxy/acetylene torch. Or actually, you could probably use a mapp gas torch and the copper brazing rod that I found to make repairs on the brass rods on my floats. If you put it in a vice just so, the jaws of the vice could protect the spoon from the heat. Or you may have to make sheet metal shield of some type.

Silver solder may be less reactive than copper brazing, depending on what the ring is made of.
carojae
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by carojae »

The expense must be in the paint.
Attachments
$72.00 per pack. Add red dots and it's $95.00!
$72.00 per pack. Add red dots and it's $95.00!
thediverdude
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by thediverdude »

I used a tig welder on a very low setting. Purchased stainless rings from website that sells them for making chainmail. Also used stainless welding rod as filler.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

So during the virus shutdown here in Washington State I have been surfing fishing forums. And sorting & retying gear. Including repairing plugs and spoons. And putting stainless steel rings on some of the Tomics that were purchased without rings.

Below is my ring installation method, this is on a Halibut jig but the same for plugs.

I hate split rings. A cure below.

Some tools and ingredients:

The old reliable acetylene/air torch, it produces a flame hot enough to get the job done. This outfit is over 75 years old, it was my fathers. Handy for a lot of things.
I have a larger oxy/acet torch rig, but even with the smallest tip the flame is too large and hot. This little Prestolite rig is "just right" when using the smallest tip in the kit.

Stainless steel rings, 8/0 hooks, 6 inch white hoochies, crimps, swivel, and a assist hook rig made using 300 pound mono.

Alstate silver brazing alloy, flux coated, very expensive but very strong and flows well if your heat is high enough and the metal is clean.

Clamped in the vise, ready to silver braze. Note the swivel.

Brazing complete, compared with the original. These are 14 ounce PLine Halibut Jigs. I like the larger SS ring, it gives more room for the assist hooks rigging.

Full view.

Finished product. Note the Cheater bobber inside the hoochie head. I do not use a hook in the hoochie as it tends to foul the bottom, the areas I jig have rocky bottoms. The assist hooks work better anyway.

Last edited by JohnR on Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Note, prior to brazing I rough up the weld area on the ring with 60 grit emery cloth. Gotta have a clean area for a good weld. The Allstate 155 flows well into the gap of the ring, I squeeze the ring until the gap is almost nonexistent before brazing.

Allstate 155 is a silver brazing alloy (meaning it has a very high silver content, hence the high cost) with a tensile strength of 50,000 psi. Do your part in the brazing process and the rings will never pull open. When heating I bring the stainless weld area up to a nice cherry red, any less temp and the brazing allow will not flow and you will have a poor bond.

Dreaming of the days when I can return to the Straits of Juan de Fuca with my boat! One change, it has a new zero hour Yamaha 200 hp 4 stroke now, bought it just before the virus thing showed up. Need to put at least 10 break in hours on the motor before serious fishing. Patience Grasshopper, Patience.

JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Yep the rings are stainless rings for making chain mail, probably from the same place diverdude obtained his supply. I bought them a few years back, in various sizes. Took forever for me to find a source, Google came to the rescue.