Favorite engine controls?

Discussion related to commercial salmon trolling, boats, gear, fishing techniques, electronics, marketing, etc.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Favorite engine controls?

Post by mattakfish »

I've decided to retire my old early-80's vintage "NAUD" engine controls. I've got 671 detroit/509 twin disc (mechanical clutch and throttle). I'm considerting Micro Commander, Glendinning, and simple morse-style cables. I know there are ups and downs to both electronic and basic cable systems. Tempting to focus on price and just go with basic cables/controls.....My main concern is durability and reliability. I've run boats with micromander and like the way it works. Meanwhile, Glendinning has an interesting feature where you can hook up a mechanical back-up control at one station. Would love to hear thoughts on controls, especially if anyone has experience using glendinning's "smart actuator" system with a mechanical engine in AK.
Matt on the F/V Aurora
Trnaround
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Favorite engine controls?

Post by Trnaround »

I have a number of friends using the Micro Commanders and they all like them. They seem reliable so far most put them in 6 or 7 years ago. I had cables in my first troller and had to replace one in about 15years. They would get a little stiff at the beginning of the season but after a couple of trips they loosened up and were fine. The boat I have now has Hyanautics. I have only had this boat for 3years. I have been warned that this system can be a nightmare when things start going wrong but so far so good. It uses pressurized filtered glycol (automotive coolant) to hydraulically shift and control the throttle so you have to use a tire pump to pressurize a small reserve tank. It bleeds down about every 2weeks to need more pressure (which is normal, no perfect seal) so another thing to watch and maintain. Very smooth though. If this system lets me down, I will probably go with the Micro Commander. Hope that is helpful, not much participation on this site lately ???
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mattakfish »

Very helpful. Thanks!
Matt on the F/V Aurora
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Many boat owners look down their nose at Hynautics systems. What they forget is that the system worked good for 30 years before it started causing problems. What else has that kind of reliability? Microcommander is supposedly where the smart money is nowadays. But if I remember right, cost for the parts alone, one engine, 3 stations, was 6 grand. And consider that hynautics can get you home even if you lose your 12 volt system.

Hey - hynautics is a simple hydraulic system. Get the bubbles out, stop the leaks (air and liquid) and it works.

In my case, I had to replace the sight gauge to get rid of an air leak. And put seal kits in a few stations at what - $40 per? And my boat built in 1979 is holding pressure for months at a time.

If boat sits for a month, I do a re-synchronize. Takes 5 minutes.

Pro tip: If pressure is leaking off, but no loss of fluid, there is only two possibilities: The top O-ring on the site gauge, or the seal at the top of the reservoir.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mattakfish »

Thanks....Good to know about hynautics. Sounds like cost/reliability could be better than electronic. However I've adjusted my budget downward in anticipation of a severely restricted king season next year. So, for now I am simply adding a back-up, quick release station with cable controls to go with my naud system.
Matt on the F/V Aurora
Scotthmt

Post by Scotthmt »

I'm having some issues with my hynautics controls, pm sent to once and future
crusader6407
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by crusader6407 »

I have built a number of commercial boats. Some years ago I used the Kobelt 2091(master) and 2093(slave) mechanical controls on a boat. I was very impressed with the quality of construction and the smoothness of their function. They are not push-pull as are the Morse (Teleflex), but pull-pull. That's why they operate so smoothly. These are single lever controls, combining both shift and throttle, but they have a built in throttle override. They can be used in up to 3 station installations, depending on the length of the runs. I have also installed several Hynaautic hydraulic control systems and they have also worked very well and reliably. For how long, I can't say once the boats went down the road. If you truly want a bullet proof system, I would recommend the Kobelt numbers mentioned above. I purchased them from Fisheries Supply in Seattle, but perhaps Seattle Marine would also have them. Both places would be special order. Kobelt is not a name you hear much around the smaller fishing sleet, but they are very popular in larger boats where reliability is absolutely a must. BTW,I don't work for Kobelt.
mattakfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by mattakfish »

Thanks...Ill check it out for the future!
Matt on the F/V Aurora