Hand Trolling as a side gig?

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
JETroll
Spammer?: No

Hand Trolling as a side gig?

Post by JETroll »

Looking at getting set up for hand trolling. I work a 9-5 but have flexible hours. I am thinking that fishing from 5-9am, working my day job and then maybe hitting the evening bite. This would be out of Ketchikan, targeting Mountain Point kings from mid-June to early July and then waiting for the August Coho run.

Does anyone have any tips/advice? Thoughts on this being a feasible plan?

Appreciate any and all feedback.
Canute

Re: Hand Trolling as a side gig?

Post by Canute »

I have no idea if that will work but I had a plan and it didn't work out I have a permit and bought a boat that turn out to junk spent a fortune on boat the ship yard in Bellingham seaview north made a mess out of the engine install so I have been in Ketchikan for 2 years with a boat that won't even float and am about to give up before I spend any more money I will never see again so my only advice is buy something turn key you will have plenty to fix but you get out fishings right away dont try to piece it together like I did big mistake so I have 23 foot uniflite withe a custom diesel v drive conversion but the shaft log is not sealed to the hull and being under the oil pan I need to take everything apart find someone to fiberglass in a tube and then I can screw the decks down and then plum and wire the hole boat I don't think I will make it this year again so do you want to buy a project I will be out a lot of money and time but maybe it's to time get out of this nightmare
Canute

Post by Canute »

I also have 2 sets of hand gurdys for sale and more but if you can find a boat that floats all you need is adfg plate and I can go with you with my hand troll permit if you want to just try it out I am thinking about trying to fish out a 14 foot skiff just so I don't miss it all like last year I don't know what I am doing at all so you know but want to meet and talk about any of this I am in Ketchikan I find out I can't do it alone I need a mentor a diesel mechanic a fiberglass guy and a friend or 2 would be great I hope you have better luck or a lot smarter than me it also helps to have lots of money I have been chasing this dream and I think it got away
F/VMrs.Cole

Post by F/VMrs.Cole »

I hand troll as a side gig, I’m not far from you either I fish west behm and Neets Bay. I find the mourning bite is SIGNIFICANTLY more productive than in the evening. For me the money is in the coho fishing late August and September till the closure.
Sfchk

Post by Sfchk »

I need to purchase a set of hand gurdies I’m located in Ketchikan. Send me an email or message and I might purchase them off of you. I also need a half tote if you happen to have one!